Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wawanarchist

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 19, 2008
Over the next week I will be shooting as a stills photographer at a local movie shooting. I have been talking to the director, and we are both concerned about the shutter noise being picked up by the boom mics. The simple solution for shooting outside is using my 70-200 2.8is and staying far back, but for the inside shots, I need a way to quiet my camera. I have looked all over for a 'sound blimp' for my Canon XTi (400d) but have found nothing, any ideas? My budget is $150.

FX120

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2007
I know that on the models with live view, while using live view (mirror locked up), you can release the shutter with much less noise.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I know that on the models with live view, while using live view (mirror locked up), you can release the shutter with much less noise.

Shutter noise is still the same, and what goes up (the mirror) must come down- and must go up in the first place, so you'll have the same noise, just spaced out some and likely not quiet enough for a set.

It's possible that just taking shots when nobody is speaking might be good enough for some sound editing if it's ok with the post-production crew. But the best bet on a low budget is just to do a few extra takes for the photographer.

wawanarchist

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 19, 2008
Damn, Not the answers I hoped for, but I assumed my camera would not be nice enough to have blimps made for it... My budget is so limited because we're already renting a 70-200 for $70 and I had to upgrade to a battery grip $90 and a new battery for the extended shooting $40... So I can't really afford to rent a new camera, Looks like I might have to settle for asking for retakes, any other ideas?

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Shutter noise is still the same, and what goes up (the mirror) must come down- and must go up in the first place, so you'll have the same noise, just spaced out some and likely not quiet enough for a set.

It's possible that just taking shots when nobody is speaking might be good enough for some sound editing if it's ok with the post-production crew. But the best bet on a low budget is just to do a few extra takes for the photographer.

There is a sound reduction feature for Live View, at least on the 40D. However, there still is some noise left from the shutter. On Live View, the mirror has already been flipped out of the way, so the only sound left is from the shutter moving. In the 40D (Live View mode), you can reduce noise as follows:

-Mode 1: Mirror stays locked and out of the way, and the shutter's noise is reduced, but it allows for continuous shooting (burst).
-Mode 2: This mode reduces shutter noise further (only a slight click is heard), but continuous shooting is not possible.

I don't know if he can do the same with his XSi. Maybe he should read the manual further?

Pikemann Urge

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2007
melbourne.au
From what I've been told by people who do this kind of work a blimp is a must unless the film crew gives you explicit permission to do otherwise. In theory doing without a blimp is okay but in practice you might find out it's better to actually have one.

If, say, you're shooting stage rehearsals, something like a camera muzzle will do fine. That merely reduces camera noise. A blimp pretty much totally eliminates it.

arogge

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2002
Tatooine
You really need a sound blimp unless you've been told otherwise. One method of reducing the noise is to wrap the camera body in a towel or anything else that muffles sound. The problem is that this blocks access to the camera and it's still not totally quiet. The Silent Mode shooting or shooting with the mirror raised is not quiet enough for your subject.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Hmm, I thought the 40D and above has some shutter function which is meant to reduce the noise produced by the shutter (for shooting without people noticing)? As far as I know, this feature is not found on the 450D and below

arogge

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2002
Tatooine
The shutter always makes the same amount of noise. The Silent Mode reduces the noise from the mirror slap, which is still noisy in some conditions.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Hmm, I thought the 40D and above has some shutter function which is meant to reduce the noise produced by the shutter (for shooting without people noticing)? As far as I know, this feature is not found on the 450D and below

Yes it does as I explained above. All you hear is a very faint "clik" sound. It's very quiet, but as others have said, he may have to use a "blimp." No idea of what this was until I look at a photo of one :)

ppc_michael

Apr 26, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I appreciate your concern for this problem. I shot a film not too long ago, and some of the audio on our best takes were ruined by the shutters of photographers that were there.

It was all fixable, but it's certainly an annoyance in post. Thank you for making sure you have that taken care of. ;)

arogge

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2002
Tatooine
No, it doesn't (at least not the 40D).

The Silent Mode slows the shutter action, but the most significant sound-reduction is in the mirror slap. The clicking of the shutter mechanism is much less of an annoyance than the slapping of the mirror. The difference between using Silent Mode and shooting at 8 fps with the mirror-lockup active is negligible.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
You could rent a 5dmk2. Seems to work well for single shots.
Wow, as far as I heard the 5dmk2 is still not widely available, yet it is already available for rents?

wawanarchist

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 19, 2008
What about this thing? Adorama link and Galbraith link It looks like it will be pretty roomy for your body, but maybe if you stuff it with some more foam?

I sent the director the links, see what he thinks... I'm gonna hate shooting in these things, but I guess its necessary, thanks for sending the links.

I appreciate your concern for this problem. I shot a film not too long ago, and some of the audio on our best takes were ruined by the shutters of photographers that were there.

It was all fixable, but it's certainly an annoyance in post. Thank you for making sure you have that taken care of. ;)

I heard that it was a problem, and both the director and I are working very hard to make this as much of a success as possible, last thing we need is a shutter sound in the middle of dialouge... This is proving to be quite a hastle though.

Thank you all for the tips about keeping my mirror up, but I need complete silence, cutting it in half is not enough, a shutter sound could ruin a dramatic moment, or make dialogue hard to understand, so I'm looking for the best I can afford. Thanks for all of the advise though, I look forward to trying everything listed here.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Oh and it seems in the midst of shutter noise discussion we forgot about the focusing noise.

Okay, to the OP, what lens are you currently using or have at your disposal?

Here are 2 things I suggest, use MF if your lens is not a USM lens but this will be a hassle cause MF is slower then AF, get/rent USM lens, its fast and its silent.

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
If all else fails, you can snap a shot right after the directors calls "Cut", or even the director directing the cast, lots of good shots come with that.

Let's hope those devices can silence the camera so you don't have to use work-arounds.

hhlee

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2005
i've been following this thread with interest... looking forward to seeing how well it works or does not work come shoot day.

wawanarchist

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 19, 2008
Oh and it seems in the midst of shutter noise discussion we forgot about the focusing noise.

Okay, to the OP, what lens are you currently using or have at your disposal?

Here are 2 things I suggest, use MF if your lens is not a USM lens but this will be a hassle cause MF is slower then AF, get/rent USM lens, its fast and its silent.

The two main lenses I will be using are my

Tokina 28-80 2.8 Af Pro... Its a pretty quiet lens, and has great MF, so we'll see how it works, I plan to use it for most indoor shooting

Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM... Enough said. This lens rocks and will be used for all outdoor shooting, and as much indoor shooting as possible. I have not seen the location yet (out shooting a Jeep trek on the day...) so I'll have to wait until Monday to see the set.

I'll keep everyone updated on how this turns out, the director has still not gotten back to me about the blimp suggested here.

tcphoto

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
Madison, GA
There is no better way than with the blimp. You have to silence the mirror and shutter noise and it's not an item that is widely produced. It costs what it costs. If it's that big of a deal, perhaps the Producer can rent one and bury it in the other expenses.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
There is no better way than with the blimp. You have to silence the mirror and shutter noise and it's not an item that is widely produced. It costs what it costs. If it's that big of a deal, perhaps the Producer can rent one and bury it in the other expenses.

They don't make a blimp for the 400D, so you also have to include a camera rental in the equation, increasing the cost.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.