Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

antoine23

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2023
Since Catalina the system is on a separate read-only volume. So, technically, it should not break, ever, right ?

Are there reports of system breaking (not booting or whatever) ?

And if it does, how ? I mean, how could it possible break software-wise ?

The only thing I could guess is a failed update, but other than that is there something else ?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
The most likely scenario is that something on the non-read-only part is conflicting with it. If a damaged or incompatible file is configured to load on boot then that could make the system unbootable.

antoine23

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2023
People adding faulty or old third-party apps or drivers to their computers can cause a failure.
I thought kexts were removed and DriverKit and so on are user-mode only, isn't this the case ?

antoine23

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2023
The most likely scenario is that something on the non-read-only part is conflicting with it. If a damaged or incompatible file is configured to load on boot then that could make the system unbootable.
That seems a reasonable fault scenario, but it would boot then stop, which should allow the system to recover

Do you see any failure scenario where the system wouldn't boot ? like it used to happen with the question mark folder

I mean, could we reasonably say that the days of the question mark folder (and of using recovery) are over ? (for software only failures of course)

Last edited:

galad

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2022
Disks and SSDs are not perfect, things can randomly corrupts. However, it's a rare occurrence, it's been a long time since the last time I saw a boot disk corruption.

antoine23

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2023
Disks and SSDs are not perfect, things can randomly corrupts. However, it's a rare occurrence, it's been a long time since the last time I saw a boot disk corruption.
Thanks. Sure, that would count as hardware failure.
As a side note, that is hopefully rare enough considering the apple silicon macs do not boot at all (not even on USB nor recovery) if the drive fails

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.