Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
I have a question regarding the silver glaze coating on the body of MacBook Pro. Does constantly keeping your hand at the palm rest area on the MacBook while typing on the keyboard, can it lighten the silver glaze coating or leave stains because of sweating and thereby peel off or wear off the silver glaze coating on the palm rest area?? This happened with my Sony vaio constantly keeping my hand on the palm rest area (like for e.g for typing on the keyboard) on vaio has left some stain because of the sweat of my hands on the palm rest area.

KeegM480

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2013
Nashville, TN
I have a question regarding the silver glaze coating on the body of MacBook Pro. Does constantly keeping your hand at the palm rest area on the MacBook while typing on the keyboard, can it lighten the silver glaze coating or leave stains because of sweating and thereby peel off or wear off the silver glaze coating on the palm rest area?? This happened with my Sony vaio constantly keeping my hand on the palm rest area (like for e.g for typing on the keyboard) on vaio has left some stain because of the sweat of my hands on the palm rest area.

I have never noticed this :) Ive owned several MacBook pro's and never seen or had one do that

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
Whilst there won't be any stains there will be "erosion". Let me explain: I've had a 15" MacBook Pro for almost a year and a half. The area in which I rest my palms have become smoother and shinier than the other parts if the palm rest. The good news? This is only observable when I clean my MacBook Pro with a damn microfiber cloth. The water from the rag brings it out. When I wipe down my computer I can see a slight shine, almost oleophobic in nature. And believe it or not, it is in the shape of my outside palms. With all this being said, I see no reason to worry about this. It's is not going to ruin/damage your MacBook Pro - even if you own it for 7+ years.

Last edited:

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Whilst there won't be any stains there will be "erosion". Let me explain: I've had a 15" MacBook Pro for almost a year and a half. The area in which I rest my palms have become smoother and shinier than the other parts if the palm rest. The good news? This is only observable when I clean my MacBook Pro with a damn microfiber cloth. The water from the rag brings it out. When I wipe down my computer I can see a slight shine, almost oleophobic in nature. And believe it or not, it is in the shape of my outside palms. With all this being said, I see no reason to worry about this. It's is not going to ruin/damage your MacBook Pro - even if you own it for 7+ years.

Exactly I am talking about the same thing, The Palm Rest Area getting a little different in colour then the rest of the area because of constantly resting your Palms there. I know this may not damage the actual working of the rMBP but if I am paying $2000+ I might as well expect and want to keep it in the best looking form forever !

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
Exactly I am talking about the same thing, The Palm Rest Area getting a little different in colour then the rest of the area because of constantly resting your Palms there. I know this may not damage the actual working of the rMBP but if I am paying $2000+ I might as well expect and want to keep it in the best looking form forever !
There is no color or texture difference. it's only noticeable when I get the palm rests wet when I'm wiping down my Mac. Whether you buy a $249 chrome book or a $3,000 MacBook Pro your palms are going to do this to your laptop.

Dovahkiing

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2013
The MBP unibody finish is just anodized aluminum. It's more likely you're leaving skin oil behind than wearing the finish off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.