Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stefanmz7

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2014
Hi! Well I asked that question on the official Apple support communities but it didn't get answered properly. I hope you can answer it:). So I wanna update to iOS 9 beta(public beta) I mean from the public software program and I was just going to ask if updating a phone with SIM card is safe I mean will I have any issues with the SIM card and stuff like that? Also I have one more question. The people on Apple support communities said that the information about the public beta is confidential and can't be discussed and you shouldn't disclose it sunless Apple does. I mean what???!!!! Seriously? Like there isn't information on the internet everywhere about the features!!! So I would like you to enlighten me on this topic if you can please because I'm really confused right now:).

skyperbon

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
All over the WWW...
Yes. You can run the public beta on your phone without it creating any problem. I've been running the beta since iOS 7 without having any issues with the SIM. But, it is generally recommended that you not run the beta on a device that you use daily as it is not intended for that purpose and may have bugs that hinder the user from using the device properly.

As for your other question, there may be some clause in the Apple Beta program (T&C) that prohibit you from disclosing what you find to the public while using the beta OS or there may be some community guidelines in the forum prohibiting you from discussing the same.

I may be wrong so please feel free to correct me if necessary.

Stefanmz7

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2014
Yes. You can run the public beta on your phone without it creating any problem. I've been running the beta since iOS 7 without having any issues with the SIM. But, it is generally recommended that you not run the beta on a device that you use daily as it is not intended for that purpose and may have bugs that hinder the user from using the device properly.

As for your other question, there may be some clause in the Apple Beta program (T&C) that prohibit you from disclosing what you find to the public while using the beta OS or there may be some community guidelines in the forum prohibiting you from discussing the same.

I may be wrong so please feel free to correct me if necessary.
[doublepost=1457109284][/doublepost]Ok thanks! Well I've been running the betas since all the way until beta 3 then I restored and now I'm going to update to beta 5. No problems. So just one more question can you update to public version from public beta OTA without iTunes? And really about the thing that information you know "confidential" there have been so many videos that I don't know what is confidential.

skyperbon

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
All over the WWW...
[doublepost=1457109284][/doublepost]Ok thanks! Well I've been running the betas since all the way until beta 3 then I restored and now I'm going to update to beta 5. No problems. So just one more question can you update to public version from public beta OTA without iTunes? And really about the thing that information you know "confidential" there have been so many videos that I don't know what is confidential.

I don't think there is a way you can shift to the public version without using iTunes to restore your phone as basically that is downgrading your phone.

You can delete the beta profile in settings and wait for the public version of iOS 9.3 to come up and maybe then you can 'update' to the newer version directly from the beta.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I don't think there is a way you can shift to the public version without using iTunes to restore your phone as basically that is downgrading your phone.

You can delete the beta profile in settings and wait for the public version of iOS 9.3 to come up and maybe then you can 'update' to the newer version directly from the beta.

You don't need iTunes or a restore to move from the last beta to the official release.

One of two things can happen.

1: Official release is a new build number, you will get a OTA to it. No issues. (Most often the case)

2: Official release is an identical build number to the last beta. No OTA update because you already have the same build. (The only case I know of this happening was with 9.2)

skyperbon

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
All over the WWW...
You don't need iTunes or a restore to move from the last beta to the official release.

One of two things can happen.

1: Official release is a new build number, you will get a OTA to it. No issues. (Most often the case)

2: Official release is an identical build number to the last beta. No OTA update because you already have the same build. (The only case I know of this happening was with 9.2)

Apologies if I wasn't clear, I was thinking on the lines that the OP wanted to shift to the current public version, i.e. 9.2.1 from 9.3 beta. As far as I am aware, the only way to shift to the public version(downgrade) is via iTunes.

The OP may get the OTA when 9.3 GM comes out, but since he is using the pubic beta profile, he will keep getting beta updates till the time he deletes the beta profile. Is it not?

Please feel free to correct me. It's good to find out when I'm wrong and learn new things.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008

Just because others do it doesn't mean it's not against the T/Cs. You are more likely to find people talking about it on 3rd party websites, such as MacRumors vs Apples own community support forums. Apple has control over what can and cannot be posted there. So you may run into more issues there about talking about Betas.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Just because others do it doesn't mean it's not against the T/Cs. You are more likely to find people talking about it on 3rd party websites, such as MacRumors vs Apples own community support forums. Apple has control over what can and cannot be posted there. So you may run into more issues there about talking about Betas.
Seems like with public betas there really isn't that much that would fall into that confidential part of it all given the "public" nature of those betas.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Seems like with public betas there really isn't that much that would fall into that confidential part of it all given the "public" nature of those betas.

It may be public, but it still limited. Not everyone that signs up gets accepted to the program. I've been part of it since it launched. But I tried to sign up my girlfriends iCloud account a couple months back and she is still waiting to hear back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.