Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Syedmqali

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2019
You probably saw this thread coming šŸ˜‚. Long story short, my brand new iPhone 13 pro max has a sim tray that sits slightly misaligned with the steel band.. it sticks out ever so slightly on one side. Not a huge issue except my OCD knows itā€™s there and I feel it when using my phone case less. Does anyone else have this issue? I even tried popping a different sim tray in to see if itā€™s just the sim tray and the other one sticks out too.. so definitely the sim slot then. I am low key contemplating getting it exchanged but wanted to see if itā€™s somewhat common enough to determine if itā€™s worth playing phone lottery over. Thanks in advance and sorry to anyone whoā€™ll likely be triggered by this first world problem.

• Haha
Reactions: Fred Zed

DDustiNN

macrumors 68030
Jan 27, 2011
Same on my 13 Pro. I can feel it ever so slightly on the bottom edge near the hole. I noticed it on day one. Not worth the hassle to me.

RRC

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2020
You probably saw this thread coming . Long story short, my brand new iPhone 13 pro max has a sim tray that sits slightly misaligned with the steel band.. it sticks out ever so slightly on one side. Not a huge issue except my OCD knows itā€™s there and I feel it when using my phone case less. Does anyone else have this issue? I even tried popping a different sim tray in to see if itā€™s just the sim tray and the other one sticks out too.. so definitely the sim slot then. I am low key contemplating getting it exchanged but wanted to see if itā€™s somewhat common enough to determine if itā€™s worth playing phone lottery over. Thanks in advance and sorry to anyone whoā€™ll likely be triggered by this first world problem.

If you have a local Apple Store go in and get it exchanged, it will always bother you and may also affect resale value when the time comes.
Youā€™re paying a premium price, should expect to be happy with what youā€™ve paid for.

Syedmqali

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2019
Hmm well I managed to take a couple pictures (was harder than it sounds šŸ˜‚) .. if someone could take a look a weigh in as to whether this is actually a problem or Iā€™m just being needlessly anal.

link:

Reactions: max2

Syedmqali

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2019
Same on my 13 Pro. I can feel it ever so slightly on the bottom edge near the hole. I noticed it on day one. Not worth the hassle to me.
lol thatā€™s exactly it .. the hassle is what dissuades me .. if it was a straight exchange and I wasnā€™t afraid of inheriting a different, possibly bigger problem Iā€™d have done it already šŸ˜‚.. do you happen to have a picture of yours? No worries if you canā€™t or donā€™t wanna bother.

Reactions: max2

Syedmqali

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2019
Check the rubber seal that sits around the sim tray is fitted properly, it can become dislodged and stop the sim tray from going in flush.
Thatā€™s a good point but the rubber seal looks good. Also, I tried a different sim tray and it was the same.. I put mine in my wifeā€™s phone and it goes in flush.. so clearly the phone then.. šŸ¤”

MarkX

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Fochabers, Scotland
Thatā€™s a good point but the rubber seal looks good. Also, I tried a different sim tray and it was the same.. I put mine in my wifeā€™s phone and it goes in flush.. so clearly the phone then..

Definitely seems like the phone then. I'd get it changed out, the water resistance could be compromised.

Reactions: YaBoiD

YaBoiD

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2011
I have the same issue unfortunately. Didn't even think about it compromising water resistance. The SIM trays have the IMEI number of your specific phone on them so I wouldn't bother switching SIM trays. Try to get it exchanged if you can find supply.

kstewart61

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2020
That photo is normal if you ask me also not a big deal but not a bad idea to get it checked within the 30 day period.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Maybe itā€™s normal? Maybe itā€™s not? Iā€™ve noticed all floor models at the Apple Store Near me, the sim-tray arenā€™t perfectly flushed to the chasis. More so where the hole is tend to stick out a little. However, I seem to lucked out as mines perfectly flush.

Syedmqali

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2019
Maybe itā€™s normal? Maybe itā€™s not? Iā€™ve noticed all floor models at the Apple Store Near me, the sim-tray arenā€™t perfectly flushed to the chasis. More so where the hole is tend to stick out a little. However, I seem to lucked out as mines perfectly flush.
see thatā€™s what I was looking for .. if itā€™s a widespread thing I donā€™t wanna play phone lottery only to keep ending up with the same issue.. or worse lol.. thanks for the reply it helped

Ram65

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
You deserve a perfect iPhone with the money they charging . You will take it back

AJAAY

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2012
Personally for me, if it's something that doesn't affect the function of the phone, or I can cover it up with a case. I wouldn't bother with it. But if it's something that is going to personally bother you or nag at you, and you are still within the return period, by all means return it and rebuy another one.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I always have a case on so Iā€™d ignore it but if you use your phone without a case and itā€™s noticeable, you should absolutely get it swapped.

Syedmqali

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2019
Personally for me, if it's something that doesn't affect the function of the phone, or I can cover it up with a case. I wouldn't bother with it. But if it's something that is going to personally bother you or nag at you, and you are still within the return period, by all means return it and rebuy another one.
Youā€™re spot on.. the only issue is that I had to go through hell and back to get this one to begin with given the current inventory situation lol.. so if I were to swap it Iā€™d have to go through warranty replacement and Iā€™ve had terrible luck with those.. back when I had my 11 pro max that came scratched out of the box I went through 3 different swaps until I found one that I was somewhat satisfied with lol.. I guess Iā€™ll try and live with it.. thanks for the advice though .. cheers!

Reactions: AJAAY

Syedmqali

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2019
I always have a case on so Iā€™d ignore it but if you use your phone without a case and itā€™s noticeable, you should absolutely get it swapped.
I use it without a case at home and slap one on when Iā€™m going out .. I know Iā€™m weird šŸ˜‚

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I use it without a case at home and slap one on when Iā€™m going out .. I know Iā€™m weird šŸ˜‚
Not weird at all. I used mine without its case last night sitting around the house, which is really unusual for me. It feels damn nice but my concern is how easily it slips out of pockets; the leather is just grippy enough to save it from ending up on the metal rails of my car seat.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68030
Jan 27, 2011
lol thatā€™s exactly it .. the hassle is what dissuades me .. if it was a straight exchange and I wasnā€™t afraid of inheriting a different, possibly bigger problem Iā€™d have done it already šŸ˜‚.. do you happen to have a picture of yours? No worries if you canā€™t or donā€™t wanna bother.
I canā€™t capture a photo since I donā€™t have another camera. I donā€™t think itā€™s even visibleā€¦ I can just barely feel it.

I had an issue with my 12 Pro where the volume up button felt too recessed and it drove me crazy. It was nearly flush, compared to the volume down which stuck out the appropriate amount. It was very annoying since thatā€™s the button I use to take photos. I ended up exchanging it and got one that felt much better.

Note that if you do an exchange, you donā€™t get to open & examine the phone until after the transaction is complete. I was hesitant when he told me that, but I did it anyway and was satisfied.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68030
Jan 27, 2011
Youā€™re spot on.. the only issue is that I had to go through hell and back to get this one to begin with given the current inventory situation lol.. so if I were to swap it Iā€™d have to go through warranty replacement and Iā€™ve had terrible luck with those.. back when I had my 11 pro max that came scratched out of the box I went through 3 different swaps until I found one that I was somewhat satisfied with lol.. I guess Iā€™ll try and live with it.. thanks for the advice though .. cheers!
Where did you buy it from? If itā€™s Apple, the in-store exchange is simple. If itā€™s a carrier, then itā€™s a major main in the hoo-hoo-dilly.

Syedmqali

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2019
Where did you buy it from? If itā€™s Apple, the in-store exchange is simple. If itā€™s a carrier, then itā€™s a major main in the hoo-hoo-dilly.
I got it at apple but honestly not worth the hassle.. the phone works fine as far as I can tell and I looked at a few display units at my local apple store and found two other units that had the same issue as mine.. one of them was worse.. so I feel like thereā€™s no point in rolling the dice on something thatā€™s fairly common.. thanks for the replies though they were really helpful

IconIc215

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
I got it at apple but honestly not worth the hassle.. the phone works fine as far as I can tell and I looked at a few display units at my local apple store and found two other units that had the same issue as mine.. one of them was worse.. so I feel like thereā€™s no point in rolling the dice on something thatā€™s fairly common.. thanks for the replies though they were really helpful
Why it does look off, the QC seems to be worse this year than I remember so chances are you might wind up with other issues and probably better off keeping. With Apple products anymore, itā€™s about finding a compromise on what you are ā€œsatisfiedā€ with. I say it like that because there is no perfect phone. Itā€™s a mass produced electronic they are pumping out of the factory as fast as they can with tolerances in place. This happens to fall within that range. The return lottery could literally go on for months so itā€™s best not to go down that path unless absolutely necessary.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.