Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 1, 2003
UT
For those of us who remember “Simple Finder” in Mac OS 8, and on through ~10.15.
You could set a user account to login directly to Simple Finder where the desktop experience was greatly simplified, and you were presented with a screen of apps (similar to an iPad app screen) that you had permission to run. This was great for kids (parental controls), shared/public computers, elderly to simplify the experience, etc.

I’m faced with two scenarios, I have an elderly parent with cognitive decline who is intimidated with the full desktop experience and could benefit from something like Simple Finder. They have apps/needs that are not met by an iPad, not least of which is my ability to help provide tech support remotely for them.

I also have young children who are coming into the age where they may start to benefit from Having access to a family computer, but I want to again, simplify their access, both so the apps and tools that would be beneficial can be more accessible to them and so we can apply controls on what apps/tools they can see.

Does anyone know of a good “Simple Finder” Alternative/method On modern Macs?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.