Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ok, so what should I put in place of the "iMac" lettering on the bottom front of the display?

• iDisplay

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • iMonitor

• Studio G4

• iStudio

• Leave it blank [it feels empty, though]

• Other (comment)

• Total voters

Edgecrusherr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2006
This is a re-post from Reddit, as I didn't like using their forum options (plus, I just wanted a good excuse to this this screen for a bit)...

Anyone else think that the iMac G4 was the best looking desktop of all time?

My iMac G4 20-in's PSU went about 2 years ago, just after I installed an SSD, too. I've been wanted to fixed it, just getting the PSU apart is a pain, so it's just sat in a box.

About a week ago I for a got a text from my fired that he found an iMac G4 at a thrift store for $35. I had him send me a photo and it was indeed a 20 inch. The shop thought it was a monitor, and was selling it for cheap (kind of foreshadowing). I had him grab It for me.

It was in rough shape, something sticky leaked inside on the board and out one of the ports. The screen bezel was coming off from the back, and it was so dirty that I joked it must have been used in a dust museum.

But it powered on, and ran!

My iMac G4 is in grade A condition, and I didn't like the looks of what was stick on the board on this %35 iMac, so I decided to swap the PSU into mine. I'll get around to fixing the old one with new caps, then maybe do the same or this one as well, but for now I have my G4 running Sorbet Leopard and Tiger from an mSATA SSD, and I also think it's a good candidate for the the PPC Snow Leopard project.

So what to do with the old one? Well, I'm often thought about how much I really want a modern sunflower Mac. I thought about hackintoshing my iMac so many times, but could never bring myself to do it. That hackintosh idea later became the dream of an Apple Silicon Mac mini inside the iMac G4's casing.

I've been looking at the Juicy Crumb Systems conversion board, and really love what they did, but I really want to use this thing as my daily machine, and a 20 inch LCD from 2003 just won't cut it. I decided the only thing to do is to covert this $35 iMac into a monitor stand. One that is VESA 100 compatible, so I can mount it to any monitor, and conceivably have an iMac G4 experience for the rest of my computing days.

This is a very early progress, kind of prototype stage, but I was able to confirm I could get it working the way I want, with my current 32" LG UltraSharp 4K/HDR monitor (which happens to be white...and oh look, my speakers are Apple Pro Speaker inspired). Both the monitor and the original Apple display are almost the exact same weight, about 12lbs.

I'll post more photos when I get time (I'm half awake and about to go to bed), but my to-do list:

• Realign bracket (it's the display is crooked).
  • Add weight back into the base (I gutted it, but now it's not heady is enough).
  • Tighten the neck tension some.
  • Build USB Hub in place of the DVD drive.

I will keep some of the parts for space, but may sell some parts at VCF East next year.

Attachments

• IMG_7976.jpg
    IMG_7976.jpg
    447.7 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_7960.JPG
    IMG_7960.JPG
    319.2 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_7965.JPG
    IMG_7965.JPG
    406.3 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_7926.JPG
    IMG_7926.JPG
    528.7 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_7920.JPG
    IMG_7920.JPG
    383.8 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_7922.JPG
    IMG_7922.JPG
    500 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_7921.JPG
    IMG_7921.JPG
    313.6 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_7975.JPG
    IMG_7975.JPG
    527.1 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_7974.JPG
    IMG_7974.JPG
    413 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_7973.JPG
    IMG_7973.JPG
    388.4 KB · Views: 74

Edgecrusherr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2006
Progress update. I think have more fine tuning today, and I'm going to order a 2.5 inch bay USB hub to add USB ports to where the DVD drive is.

Should also mention that the bracket is just a temporary one, more of a proof of concept, and made from a compress plastic material used in sign making. It's strong, but soft enough that I could make quick adjustments with. I wouldn't rust it for long term used, so I have a VEGA bracket on the way that I will drill holes to attach to the neck.

Please don't mind the Time Vortex 🤣

IMG_7982.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_7983.JPG
    IMG_7983.JPG
    365.3 KB · Views: 29

Edgecrusherr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2006
Hi just wondering what vesa mount did you use on the iMac G4 to connect the monitor to many thanks.
I just made my own using a compressed PVC plastic sheet of material called Sintra. I have a real bracket coming in the mail that I’m going to but to size, then drill the holes, but you can use any 100mm x 100mmm compatible bracket, then drill the holes so that they line with with the iMacs arm. I also used the original metal piece that was inside the display housing to act as a kind of washer to held hold the screws.

Also, I ended up using the screws from inside the iMac, in place of the original arm screws. These weee the same threading, but longer. I forget wheee they came from, I believe they held the PSA in place. Since I’m not using the PSU intones, they were the perfect choice.

Photo attached with the bracket piece looks like before I mount the screen on. Again, this is only a temporary version until I get a stronger material bracket in.

Attachments

• IMG_7978.jpeg
    IMG_7978.jpeg
    391.2 KB · Views: 31

Jacknewton1233

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2024
do you have a link to the bracket you ordered do i have To drill holes or can i get one that don’t need drilling thanks

Edgecrusherr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2006
Did some white vinyl around the bezel to see what it would look like, then fired up some emulator to see what life cold have been like.

IMG_7990.JPG
IMG_7996.JPG
IMG_7991.JPG
IMG_7992.JPG
IMG_7993.JPG
IMG_7994.JPG
IMG_7995.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_7996.JPG
    IMG_7996.JPG
    367.3 KB · Views: 29

gagigu

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2021
Switzerland
Sounds like a nice project. I have 2 20" iMac G4 at home, one with broken display and one with dead board, which I want to convert into a stock looking M3 machine.
Would you mind selling your old 20" screen with bezel?

Jacknewton1233

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2024
do you have a link to the bracket you ordered do i need To drill holes or can i get one that don’t need drilling thanks

Edgecrusherr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2006
Sounds like a nice project. I have 2 20" iMac G4 at home, one with broken display and one with dead board, which I want to convert into a stock looking M3 machine.
Would you mind selling your old 20" screen with bezel?
I can’t promise I didn’t break it trying to get it out of the housing. To remove it, you have to lift up, then up, then there’s maybe 50 holes that it slits in, and it was stuck on the right side. I had to use a lot of force to get it up and out. Also, it wasn’t in great shape before I got it. There’s lot of scratches, and something white on the screen, looks like paint.

Edgecrusherr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2006
do you have a link to the bracket you ordered do i need To drill holes or can i get one that don’t need drilling thanks
I know repeating some stuff here, but I wanted to answer you directly on the link question.

I ordered this bracket before deciding to use my LG monitor (I was looking at 27" screens, then decided to just put my 32" LG UltraFine on the iMac). It's a hard plastic, I figured it would be easier to use this as a test, but after looking at the LG, I realized the place it too big, and the plate will block the ports, so I'll have to cut it down. This realization (and impatience) is what lead me to making a bracket/plate from material I had around the house.

For a long term solution, I'm considering one of these 2 plates:

No matter the plate you get, you'll have to drill the holes that will line up with the arm/neck of the iMac. You may also need longer screens. In my case, I used the screens that were holding the PSU in place. It's the same threading and Torx head size, so it worked out perfectly. I also used longer M8 screws for the back of my monitor, but that will all depend on what monitor you have, and what screens they give you for a VESA mount (if any).

[Also note: I made those links through my work's associates account, because I prefer the shorter link URLs it makes over the really long Amazon URLs. My company gets a kickback for anything you buy through the links, but I don't, which is fine, I just like the shorter URLs]

InsightsIE

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2008
That is looking so good! Once you painted the bezel white it's really coming together. I kinda need you to make me one. How does the hinge handle such a large / heavy display??

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
Nice work! I keep staring at both of my 17" iMacs, wondering what to do with them, as I feel the same about the design. This may just prompt me to attempt something similar. I have those same Creative "Creature" speakers as well. Decent sound.

Reactions: Edgecrusherr

Edgecrusherr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2006
That is looking so good! Once you painted the bezel white it's really coming together. I kinda need you to make me one. How does the hinge handle such a large / heavy display??
Thanks!

So the spring in the arm works perfectly, as the LG monitor is about the same weight as the iMac's display assembly. I may also add more weight to the base, to make up for the lack of the PSU + logic board.

My only issue is the hinge for the upper part started getting really loose. I took apart the neck/arm and set the spring to the highest tension, but it didn't make a difference. I never really bothered to use this iMac before I took it part, but the neck/arm did feel looser than my other iMac G4, so I'm not sure if it's the display's weight (which doesn't make sense), something wrong with the neck/arm, or seething else going on, like a different balance of the LG monitor. If I can figure out how to tighten the one part, it will be perfect. I'm open to suggestions lol.

I think a 27" display would be the ideal size for this. Currently, I'm using my 32" LG, but I'm debating getting a 27", and using it a work monitor, since my boss wants to replace my 16" MBP with a 14" to save some money.

Edgecrusherr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2006
Nice work! I keep staring at both of my 17" iMacs, wondering what to do with them, as I feel the same about the design. This may just prompt me to attempt something similar. I have those same Creative "Creature" speakers as well. Decent sound.
Funny enough, I thought about replace the speaker with the black version, that includes a subwoofer. Not happening if I do this as an iMac look lol.

If you do the 17" iMac, I would definitely do 27" monitor. I think the 32" is pushing it with the 20" iMac's base, and I may replace it with a 27". Not sure yet. I do live the 32".

The cool thing about the iMac and the larger display is it really gives it a whole new feel when you're using the monitor in a lower position. It makes it feel much more immersive, which is the thing I like most about the iMac G4's design.

InsightsIE

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2008
Thanks!

So the spring in the arm works perfectly, as the LG monitor is about the same weight as the iMac's display assembly. I may also add more weight to the base, to make up for the lack of the PSU + logic board.

My only issue is the hinge for the upper part started getting really loose. I took apart the neck/arm and set the spring to the highest tension, but it didn't make a difference. I never really bothered to use this iMac before I took it part, but the neck/arm did feel looser than my other iMac G4, so I'm not sure if it's the display's weight (which doesn't make sense), something wrong with the neck/arm, or seething else going on, like a different balance of the LG monitor. If I can figure out how to tighten the one part, it will be perfect. I'm open to suggestions lol.

I think a 27" display would be the ideal size for this. Currently, I'm using my 32" LG, but I'm debating getting a 27", and using it a work monitor, since my boss wants to replace my 16" MBP with a 14" to save some money.
You should check if any monitors on the market have built in webcams. I think a 27" with a HD cam built in would be brilliant. My dream would be that and like a Thunderbolt dock in the base so one cable can charge and put display to the MacBook. Obviously you can connect a wire straight from the LG to the MacBook, but to make it that bit spiffier and tidier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.