Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

digitaltoaster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2007
Seattle
Just wanted to post a few favorite images that are shot with a single studio flashhead and reflectors. Most are recent and a few are older.

I like to keep lighting simple and use a reflector as fill. And yes, I spend time posing the model ;)

ceafb181.jpg

ae11b314.jpg

0c47fd08.jpg

Used 2 lights on this one

ab71f1fd.jpg

a8de027f.jpg

ad05ed18.jpg

1a03cd34.jpg

mattw126

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2008
Naples, FL - Poughkeepsie, NY
I think your technique works great, your shots definitely exemplify the minimalist approach. How many reflectors do you typically use?

I like using a similar setup (because of it's convience) on weddings, that's how I get 'studio-like' lighting that always pleases the client. One SB-800 diffused on camera (sometimes handheld on a cable), and another assistant-held 800 bouncing off a reflector. For more dramatic effect, I just use the assistant's off camera and dial it in for around a 4:1 ratio on the face.

For the majority of studio portraiture, I still use a Key, a fill, a background (typically) to vignette, and a hair. For my model shoots however, I like to experiment with different setups. Again, nice work, I especially like the mood created in the last one.

digitaltoaster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2007
Seattle
Beautiful work. Just one light? Wow! What type of lighting are you using?

I use a large 5' x 8' nylon panel, a smaller version of what they use on movie sets. Brand of lights, really doesn't matter, it is the modifier that creates the light quality. All the images in my port are done with really inexpensive mono heads, White Lightning x1600's, usually just 1.

For reflectors I use just one....another nylon or satin panel, all DIY.

Cheers...T

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.