Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unixperience

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 21, 2010
When the screen is off, anytime I try to use siri it says "You'll need to unlock your iphone first"

-I don't use a fingerprint to unlock the phone (or anything else, although I had apps store finger print enabled on ios9 without issue)
-require passcode: after 4 hours
-display and brightness autolock: never (I doubt this does anythign but it was worth a shot)
-Siri >Access on home screen "on"

does anyone else have this issue? I've tried hard reset, turning siri on and off, turning passcode on and off. Still asks for the password. The only solution I can find is to completely disable my password

EDIT: I didn't change any settings between ios9 and 10, but after installing 10 siri would no longer work without a password. So i tried toggling a few things no no avail

unixperience

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 21, 2010
  • It's not all apps
  • It looks like it's just related to opening apps. Something like "open pandora" (which will then usually start playing music) or open messages, Spotify

Thinks like "play song", call someone, send text seem to work

Thor_1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2016
Texas
Mine requires me to unlock the phone to open, which makes sense and what I want. Maybe a new security feature?

I can play music (only app I tried). If you want the phone to open, just use the raise to wake with no password or finger print to unlock.

Edit: I am sure you know that the "hey Siri" is not always locked to your voice. I have seen people change the pitch of their voice and access Siri on phones that were not theirs.

Last edited:

unixperience

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 21, 2010
Mine requires me to unlock the phone to open, which makes sense and what I want. Maybe a new security feature?

I can play music (only app I tried). If you want the phone to open, just use the raise to wake with no password or finger print to unlock.

Edit: I am sure you know that the "hey Siri" is not always locked to your voice. I have seen people change the pitch of their voice and access Siri on phones that were not theirs.

It may be a new security feature, but i would also like the old way to be supported as well, even if it meant I had to toggle another setting to get it back ( I was hoping that was the case but I can't seem to find anything)

I mainly use siri while driving (my motorcycle with thick motorcycle gloves on) raising a phone, or pressing a home button isn't really an option. I can't even see my phone when I use it. Which may be a special use case, but I would imagine others want to do similar things when they can't touch their phone (people exercising, maybe outside doing yardwork, etc)

For now I'm just going to leave my password disabled *shrugs*

Thor_1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2016
Texas
Update. Just did a test with messages. I was able to use Siri to send a text message without unlocking the phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.