Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does this seem more hardware or software related?

• Hardware

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Software

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other...

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

rahhb.riley

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 5, 2009
a State
Needing help with a peculiar Siri issue; I'm usually able to diagnose or fix about anything myself and this is stumping me.

iPhone se, current iOS, macOS, and iTunes. All backed up, etc.

Month ago, screen breaks in my pocket. I was in a warehouse moving 20lb items around, crawling on the ground, up on ladder, etc. My point is that I'm not sure how I did it exactly, but it's plenty reasonable it broke. First time screen shatter for me by the way, and I've owned an iPhone since 08, kinda proud?!

I've been fixing my friends' and family's iPhones since the 3GS, I'm no pro, but I very much know what I'm doing replace basic iPhone hardware components. I ordered a display assembly from Amazon. Ordered with front camera/earpiece/mic/sensor preinstalled to save time, it was Thanksgiving.

Get the part in, did the repair, switched out my home button with my Touch ID sensor, put it together and all seems to work fine.

Until later in the day I realize Siri could barely hear me. I know Siri, FaceTime and front video recording use the microphone next to the earpiece speaker. If I shout it can hear me. Did all of the typical phone resets, toggle Siri, and resetup Hey Siri, no change.

I speculate that the microphone is bunk or there is a rubber protector/gasket thing left on the mic, maybe they forgot to remove when initially assembled? Later checked and found nothing obstructing the mic.

By the time I think to try to put my original camera/mic/sensor assembly on the new display, I'm headed home from my TG trip and the host has taken their trash to the curb.

Ordered a repalcemt dispaly assembly that included a new cam/mic/sensor as well as an extra standalone cam/mic/sensor replacement, just in case.

Been busy but finally replaced with new screen assembly the other day. Same exact problem!! Siri and other apps using that mic can barely hear me, only if I shout am I audible.

So, I replced the cam/mic/speaker from the newest display assembly with the extra individual one I ordered. You guessed it, same problem persists after the latest replacement!

At this point, I backed my phone up and reset it. Did not restore it. Siri can still barely hear me.

Restore my phone, no change.

I briefly examined the connector on the logic board that the cam/mic/sensor cable connects to, there was no glaring damage. It seems odd to me that a damaged connector could result in reduced volume anyway; I think it would be an all or nothing type situation? I could be wrong.

Sorry for the rambling post, but if anyone has any other insight or suggestion, it would be greatly appreciated. Would gladly provide more information as needed. Thanks!

lakaiordie

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2008
you ordered 3rd party displays mixed them with original apple parts etc and wonder why you're having an issue? you can't take it to apple now, they wont service your phone. you're screwed there. your only option is to either take it off and reinstall it or order another one.

were you grounded while installing these items? you need to be, thats why they take the phones to the back of the store in a totally separate room for repairs and thats why they wear those bands on their wrist. they ground themselves before opening anything.

Last edited:

rahhb.riley

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 5, 2009
a State
you ordered 3rd party displays mixed them with original apple parts etc and wonder why you're having an issue? you can't take it to apple now, they wont service your phone. you're screwed there. your only option is to either take it off and reinstall it or order another one.

were you grounded while installing these items? you need to be, thats why they take the phones to the back of the store in a totally separate room for repairs and thats why they wear those bands on their wrist. they ground themselves before opening anything.

Okay, first of all, I never said I wanted to take it to Apple, never said I cared about that. I'm quite aware of my own situation.

I'm looking for diagnotisic knowledge. Yes I was grounded.

Yes I've used third party parts, and that could very well be the issue, and I will try from another supplier, etc. but I don't think you're actually trying to help here as so much offer to point out the details of my predicament. If you'd read my thread you'd realize I have used multiple parts, etc. all have the same issue. It's not that my phone isn't working and I've shorted my motherboard.

I will acknowledge where my intellectual blind spots are, and in this case, it is electrical and dealing the logic board, I think. I've likely scratched or damaged some electrical item (resistor?).

Not to be rude, I just really don't think you read my post. Fair enough, it was long. However you suggested things I've aleady tried...twice. I scoured the web high and low and am not incompetent in this area; I came to post in MR Forums because I thought of all places on the web, I might find a patient, knowledgeable community that would read my post throughly and offer thoughtful replies or suggestions. I was hoping to avoid snark, fallacies or false expertise.

lakaiordie

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2008
Okay, first of all, I never said I wanted to take it to Apple, never said I cared about that. I'm quite aware of my own situation.

I'm looking for diagnotisic knowledge. Yes I was grounded.

Yes I've used third party parts, and that could very well be the issue, and I will try from another supplier, etc. but I don't think you're actually trying to help here as so much offer to point out the details of my predicament. If you'd read my thread you'd realize I have used multiple parts, etc. all have the same issue. It's not that my phone isn't working and I've shorted my motherboard.

I will acknowledge where my intellectual blind spots are, and in this case, it is electrical and dealing the logic board, I think. I've likely scratched or damaged some electrical item (resistor?).

Not to be rude, I just really don't think you read my post. Fair enough, it was long. However you suggested things I've aleady tried...twice. I scoured the web high and low and am not incompetent in this area; I came to post in MR Forums because I thought of all places on the web, I might find a patient, knowledgeable community that would read my post throughly and offer thoughtful replies or suggestions. I was hoping to avoid snark, fallacies or false expertise.

i've done repairs while working for apple. your first mistake was using 3rd party parts and mixing them with original ones. your only hope is to buy some more and try those.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.