Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andykartman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2018
Is there a way to request SIRI to only change the colour of the lights that are currently turned on?

For example, if I have several lights turned on in the house and they are white, and I request SIRI to set the lights yellow, it sets those lights to yellow, but also turns on all the other lights in the house and sets them to yellow. On more than one occasion I have woken the kids as their lights turn on late at night.

I must be missing something basic, but I cannot see how to do this.

I have a mix of phillips Hue and LIFX, but they all behave the same way.

Any advice appreciated.

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
I believe the only supported way of doing this is to do it by room. For example, I have Hue lights in the kitchen, in the hallway, and in my room. I can say to Siri "turn on the lights in the kitchen" or "set the kitchen lights to yellow" and it works without turning on the rest of the lights.

Additionally if you have a HomePod in a particular room, and the HomePod is set in the Home app to be part of that room, you can just say "Hey Siri, turn on the lights" and the HomePod will only turn on the lights in the room it is in.

You can also ask Siri to change multiple rooms at once, for example "Hey Siri, turn on the lights in the hallway and my room" or "Hey Siri, turn on the lights everywhere except the kitchen".

andykartman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2018
Thanks Brookzy. I have tried the multi-room command, but the response from Siri is not always consistant and often a room / light gets missed. It also happened that I gave a command to "change office lights to yellow". It missed the word office and turned on all the lights (yellow) and woke the kids (again).

I reckon it would be much easier if we could just issue a colour change command that simply changed the lights that were already on. I have tried looking at some of the 3rd party apps (eve, home etc), but they don't seem to give that level of checking multiple accesoires and acting on each accessory based on its state.

Thanks for the suggestions

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.