Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Siri has been getting worse since...

Votes: 2 10.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 5.0%

Votes: 3 15.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t use Siri

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • I did use Siri, but gave up

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Damn well fix it!

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters

DavidInSydney

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
Are you tired of Siri...
  1. randomly adding words at the beginning of the sentence (I get “Utan” and “Cause”... why!?)
  2. getting wording correct and then changing it... changing it back... changing it again? The words are dancing around.
  3. changing the wording at the last moment as you hit the send button?
  4. suddenly not being able hear a simple word correctly?
Would like to hear how others are getting on with Siri, if they’re having the same problems, or different problems, if they find Siri useful or they’ve given up or never used it.

There’s a poll below, I’m sure it could be improved.

Adamson121

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2021
I'm not sure if this is a fault on Siri's end. But I usually set my alarm through siri. It was around 9pm when I made a command to set an alarm to 4. Woke up at 6am and missed my appointment that time. Siri did set an alarm to 4, but 4pm ? . I sort of assumed that siri would set the alarm to the closest period (am/pm) that the command can match

one more

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
I first tried Siri with iOS 12, mostly to ask it to play some music or call somebody while I was driving. It worked quite well back then. Then at some point in iOS 13 it got worse for me and became a total disaster in iOS 14, when they introduced a nice small psychedelic animation for it. I totally gave up on it now, as it does not make sense if I constantly need to double-check or correct it. ??‍♂️

Reactions: DavidInSydney

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
It is frustrating when Siri initially translates the message you said and then you watch it get changed to something incorrect.

I think Siri is drastically better when you're asking it questions. Siri used to just say "here's what I found on the web" and not say anything else. Now Siri reads out answers.

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
On the whole, I’m underwhelmed with Siri. Has it gotten worse? I guess, I dunno, it was never very good. I think the bigger frustration for me is the scattershot reliability of it. Seldom works reliably on cellular and when I query Siri with my iPhone, which I’m holding in my hand, my iPad, which is ten feet away, will chime to attention. Not exactly confidence inspiring.

primarycolors

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2015
CA
I used to defend Siri but lately I've been shocked how it fails to carry out basic requests, even when it does parse my words correctly. These all happened to me in the last couple weeks.

I also asked him to "remind me when I wake up to mail the decals," hoping to be reminded around the time I wake up to 'pack the decals.'

Instead Siri created a reminder with no alert notification, called "When I wake up to pack thirty cows"...

Attachments

• IMG_6949.jpeg
    IMG_6949.jpeg
    73.4 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_6960.jpeg
    IMG_6960.jpeg
    93.5 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_7019.PNG
    IMG_7019.PNG
    1.8 MB · Views: 168
Last edited:

Wildkraut

Suspended
Nov 8, 2015
Germany
Siri is plain stupid, I rarely have usage for it, and when there is a usage, it does not work well.
Had an Android for about 8 Months and OK Google worked much much better.
The Google version even understands multi-language.
I asked Google in Portuguese, and Google answered in Portuguese, I asked in German and it answered in German, i asked in English and I got an English reply. If your iPhone is setup to English, and you're in Italy, good luck trying to ask Siri to route you to some Italian named street. Siri is pure garbage.

vinegarshots

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2018
Apple has a simple solution to their Siri problem. Pay Apple users to share their data to improve Siri.

Google gives people products in exchange for their data. Apple is all about privacy, so why don't they just give people money in exchange for their data? Call it the cost of developing a usable virtual assistant.

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Are you tired of Siri...
  1. randomly adding words at the beginning of the sentence (I get “Utan” and “Cause”... why!?)
  2. getting wording correct and then changing it... changing it back... changing it again? The words are dancing around.
  3. changing the wording at the last moment as you hit the send button?
  4. suddenly not being able hear a simple word correctly?
Would like to hear how others are getting on with Siri, if they’re having the same problems, or different problems, if they find Siri useful or they’ve given up or never used it.

There’s a poll below, I’m sure it could be improved.

Yes! And she sometimes has problems doing things, just spins and finally says she's having trouble.

One of the things that drives me really crazy is "Hey Siri play music" "I can't do that because you're not playing music" ARGH

She definitely has good and bad days. Sometimes I have text conversations while on my bike and I have to apologize in advance for any weird things I may have typed that I can't see as the phone is in my pocket.

She has potential but sheesh!!

sactownbwoy

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2008
I ride a motorcycle and used to be able to use Siri to send a text or reply to a text. Now when I go to initiate a text, she will say "you need to unlock your phone". Never had that problem before. Not sure when it started but Siri is straight garbage.

BasilFawlty

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2009
New Mexico
I despise Siri! Apple should be thoroughly ashamed at how absolute crap it is. It is slow, unreliable, inaccurate.
I actually came here to post a complaint about Siri, but then saw this post. Recently I have noticed (probably with update to ios 14, maybe earlier) that Siri doesn't understand my very clear requests - requests that it used to understand with no issue. For example, when I want to call home, using CarPlay, I will activate Siri and say "Call (my name) home." Siri used to just say "Calling (my name), home". Then, somewhere along the line, Siri started asking "Did you mean (my name)? And I have to say "yes." Now, however, when I say "Call (my name) home", Siri insists that it can't find a number for (my name) in contacts. VERY frustrating.

Earlier today I was having the issuse and, after the third try, I got frustrated and said "F"bomb you, Siri". Siri said, "I won't respond to that." LOL

Last edited:

George Dawes

Suspended
Jul 17, 2014
=VH=
It also listens into your conversations - spooky

Try using it on AppleTV - that's a combination of hilarious and annoying

noanker

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2015
Siri has never been ready for prime time. When they revealed the HomePod Minis last year, I was thrilled that perhaps they had improved Siri, at least the product reveal suggested that.

But no, it is still the flaming dumpster fire it has always been and shows no signs of improvement. Google Assistant is moderately better, but a dumpster fire in its own right.

I'm still perplexed that silence unknown callers works on the iPhone but the 'feature' still rings unknown calls on iPad. That should've been an easy fix.

Apple seems more preoccupied with introducing emoji that has user-selectable skin tone because that's what buyers *really* need. :rolleyes:

diane143

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
I actually came here to post a complaint about Siri, but then saw this post. Recently I have noticed (probably with update to ios 14, maybe earlier) that Siri doesn't understand my very clear requests - requests that it used to understand with no issue. For example, when I want to call home, using CarPlay, I will activate Siri and say "Call (my name) home." Siri used to just say "Calling (my name), home". Then, somewhere along the line, Siri started asking "Did you mean (my name)? And I have to say "yes." Now, however, when I say "Call (my name) home", Siri insists that it can't find a number for (my name) in contacts. VERY frustrating.

Earlier today I was having the issuse and, after the third try, I got frustrated and said "F"bomb you, Siri". Siri said, "I won't respind to that." LOL

Siri's been having a rough week for sure. Most of what I've asked her to do today, she doesn't even start by voice. If I'm lucky I can activate her with the button, but I tend to use her because my hands are full or dirty.

Maybe a year ago I started having the issue you mentioned with just one of my contacts. "Hey Siri, call Joe." "Did you mean Joe?" (I only have one)

Lately I have no idea what's happening. I ask her to call someone, and she will say "calling xyz" "I'm sorry I can't use that number to call xyz". I check the number to see if the area code is missing or something (which is silly as it's a number I call often) and it's fine. And this isn't happening on just one or two numbers and it doesn't happen all the time. :mad:

actcyclist

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2017
It’s just easier to turn Siri off. Aside from the constant errors causing me to have to use my screen anyway, I disliked the tone deaf familiarity and verbosity of it.

DavidInSydney

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
Siri is getting worse. A few weeks ago I said "Remind me to call Marulie about 12pm" and it came up with...

Screen Shot 2021-04-30 at 9.23.37 pm (1).png

Meryl is our 84 year old neighbour.

• Haha
Reactions: MisterSavage
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.