Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bob1985

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2015
Two of the (latest-gel) Siri remotes in my house have suddenly started sending continuous IR volume down commands to my receivers and TVs.

ATV says the remote firmware is version 0x0061.

Never had this before.

Work around is to point the remotes away from the TV so TV can't see IR commands.

It's not doing it with Bluetooth, only IR.

I'm wondering if something changed recently.

hg.wells

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2013
Just out of curiosity what brand of tv do you have? Are the Samsung?

If it is, try turning the volume up with the Samsung tv remote and see if it continues to turn it down.

Bob1985

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2015
Yes, they are Samsung TVs. If you turn the volume up with the Samsung remotes, they will be immediately pushed back down by the Siri remotes at the same time.

hg.wells

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2013
I don’t believe it’s the Siri remotes, I had the exact same problem and followed these steps:

I had previously assumed it was the Apple TV and had reset it multiple times, until I realized the same issue occurred with the Samsung remote.

Bob1985

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2015
I don’t believe it’s the Siri remotes, I had the exact same problem and followed these steps:

I had previously assumed it was the Apple TV and had reset it multiple times, until I realized the same issue occurred with the Samsung remote.
I believe you had a separate problem. I am not seeing it with the Samsung remote. The Siri remote is stuck sending these IR commands.

hg.wells

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2013
I believe you had a separate problem. I am not seeing it with the Samsung remote. The Siri remote is stuck sending these IR commands.
I would give it a go, it’s easier to do that step then reset the Apple TV’s. If I could have avoided that I would have.

The chances of having two Siri remotes see the exact same issue is really unlikely, the common factor is the tv.

Last edited:

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
have you tried rebooting the remote, hold back and volume up for a few seconds

Ruggy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2017
Odd that it's two remotes but it's typical behaviour of a stuck button.
Keyboards, even on my microwave oven, I've had similar problems.

Bob1985

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2015
hg.wells, your suggestion resolved the problem. Thanks. So strange. This tells me that the ATV is talking to the TV in both directions, the TV got confused, and then the ATV told the remote to send a zillion IR commands. The ATV might still have a bug, but resetting the Smart Hub on the Samsung fixed it for now. I wish I understood these protocols better.

waw74, yes, I had previously tried rebooting the remote using the sequence you described to unpair, then repair.

hg.wells

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2013
hg.wells, your suggestion resolved the problem. Thanks. So strange. This tells me that the ATV is talking to the TV in both directions, the TV got confused, and then the ATV told the remote to send a zillion IR commands. The ATV might still have a bug, but resetting the Smart Hub on the Samsung fixed it for now. I wish I understood these protocols better.

waw74, yes, I had previously tried rebooting the remote using the sequence you described to unpair, then repair.
glad it worked!

Lakj100

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2021
I have a similar problem that appears to have started within the last couple of days. The IR LED is continuously flashing (used my phone camera to look at the front of the remote). In my case it’s preventing my TV remote and Aircon remote from properly controlling there respective devices. Ive put electrical tape over the front as a workaround for now.

Bob1985

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2015
I have a similar problem that appears to have started within the last couple of days. The IR LED is continuously flashing (used my phone camera to look at the front of the remote). In my case it’s preventing my TV remote and Aircon remote from properly controlling there respective devices. Ive put electrical tape over the front as a workaround for now.
That is exactly the symptom I had. See above non-intuitive workaround if you have a Samsung TV.

Lakj100

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2021
That is exactly the symptom I had. See above non-intuitive workaround if you have a Samsung TV.
I factory reset my HiSense TV but the problem remained. I then noticeed a software update for the AppleTV. Applied that and the problem went away.

macbuzzr

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2021
Hi,

that's very interesting. Had the same problem two days ago (ATV4K2021 + Panasonic TV). After pressing the volume up button once, it didn't stop and increased to max. I resolved it by rebooting the ATV via the menu.

Could it be something on Apple server side? It strikes me that many people have that problem these days...

Last edited:

Bob1985

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 19, 2015
Interesting, I will note that my issue happened with tvOS 15.1. I updated to 15.2 yesterday, but after having reset my Samsung Smart Hub. We should note if anyone sees it with 15.2 going forward. I'm still thinking this is/was somehow an ATV bug.

qgadrian

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2018
I had the exactly same issue, it was driving me crazy.

I reset the Samsung TV back to factory defaults, restarted the Apple TV, changed batteries of the remotes… and the problem persisted. Finally got it fixed by updating to beta tvOS 15.2

Muhammadazam

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2022
You may check ith your Tv brand and does it have the problem with the brand like toshiba or samsung?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.