Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jusacruiser

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
Palm Beach, Florida
Can somebody please explain to me what “Siri & Search” does?

And what does “Suggestions in Search” do??

And what is “Suggestions in Look Up?”

What if I want to disable these features for each app? Do I have to adjust my Siri Settings for every app?

upload_2018-12-20_1-10-5.jpeg

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Search has to do with the Search bar on the home screen/lock screen and Look Up is in that popup that comes up when you select text. Siri Suggestions pulls up related websites, tweets, apps, movies, news, etc.

If you turn it off, your installed apps are still going to appear in search/Siri, so yes, you'd want to change the settings for every app.

Reactions: jusacruiser

jusacruiser

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
Palm Beach, Florida
Search has to do with the Search bar on the home screen/lock screen and Look Up is in that popup that comes up when you select text. Siri Suggestions pulls up related websites, tweets, apps, movies, news, etc.

If you turn it off, your installed apps are still going to appear in search/Siri, so yes, you'd want to change the settings for every app.
Jessica.....Thank you, thank you, thank you!! You are the first person to explain Siri Search and Lookup in a simple way. I am going to look through the app settings and adjust accordingly. It seems like it would be good to be selective in which apps are providing information, or else it will always seem like a blizzard of too much help.

And since you gave such a good explanation on "Search and Look up," what is your suggestion on "share my location?" I want to know things like weather and where I can get a local pizza.....but I don't want the entire internet knowing my whereabouts at all times. How do I set my location settings to find that correct location versus privacy balance?

Thank you!

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Yeah, I think it's asking too much to have us say yes or no to having it setup to begin with when they're also asking us for permission to use our location, microphone, contacts, etc, but it wouldn't hurt.

Your best bet is to keep it set at "While Using the App" so you specifically have to open the app and it can't just periodically fetch data on its own. You could try "Never", but you might find that some of them won't otherwise work. Saying that, that's not a guarantee that they won't still sell/use the little data they'll get from you and they still have your IP address to identify you with.

Reactions: jusacruiser

jusacruiser

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
Palm Beach, Florida
Yeah, I think it's asking too much to have us say yes or no to having it setup to begin with when they're also asking us for permission to use our location, microphone, contacts, etc, but it wouldn't hurt.

Your best bet is to keep it set at "While Using the App" so you specifically have to open the app and it can't just periodically fetch data on its own. You could try "Never", but you might find that some of them won't otherwise work. Saying that, that's not a guarantee that they won't still sell/use the little data they'll get from you and they still have your IP address to identify you with.
Jessica....more specifically.....Do I turn on or off "Share My Location?" fullsizeoutput_38b8.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.