Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Original poster
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
I am not liking the "updated" Siri song search feature in iOS 16. Anyone know if it's possible to fix the following two issues?

Issue 1
Back in OS 15... When asking Siri "what song is this," Siri would listen for a moment, respond with the song name and with one tap, Music would launch to that identified song. At this point, with just one more tap, that newly identified song was added to my Library. A really efficient workflow. In iOS 16, the "one-tap-to-launch-Music" portion or the workflow has been changed. Now that first tap launches Shazam. Shazam?? Why on earth would I want to launch a song in a music app I don't use? Answer: I don't. I'm an Apple Music subscriber and want to go back to launching the song into my default music player. So my question...
Is there a way to revert back to auto-launching Music in that scenario instead of Shazam?

Issue 2
Since updating to iOS 16 on an iPhone 14 Pro, the vast majority (maybe ~80%) of my song searches, on both cellular and wifi, don't yield a song name and, instead, yield a message from Siri stating "Sorry, I can't recognize music right now. Please try again in a bit." I just tried this with an iPhone 14 Pro/16.0.2 and an iPad mini/15.7 - both on the same wifi network. As has proven typical, the iPhone Pro yielded the "Sorry..." message. The iPad mini worked as expected.

I'm a musician and overall music nerd. Asking Siri to identify a song is one of my main requests of Siri. For it to no longer work (while not at all the end of the world) is a significant annoyance for this user. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers.

• Love
Reactions: Geckotek

Wayward

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2007
I’m having the same issues with Siri/Shazam not able to recognize songs. I’ve noticed during these failures, the microphone (orange light) turns off when Siri launches Shazam.

I have been working with Apple support for 2 or 3 weeks now on this issue. They’ve run a diagnostic report and collected the log files. I’ve also uploaded videos and pictures to them of the issue happening.

Reactions: lazyrighteye

tomatoes44

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2022
Having the exact same issue! It works very sporadically. Not sure why they had to go and change it. Hopefully they will fix it soon.

Reactions: lazyrighteye

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Original poster
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
I’m having the same issues with Siri/Shazam not able to recognize songs. I’ve noticed during these failures, the microphone (orange light) turns off when Siri launches Shazam.

I have been working with Apple support for 2 or 3 weeks now on this issue. They’ve run a diagnostic report and collected the log files. I’ve also uploaded videos and pictures to them of the issue happening.
Thanks for your work on this matter. Please keep us posted. Cheers.

Last edited:

Wayward

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2007
Had another conversation with Apple support yesterday. They had me reproduce the problem and then they ran diagnostics again and collected the logs. They also had me capture a screen recording of the problem and upload it to them.

I’ll keep this thread updated.

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Original poster
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
Had another conversation with Apple support yesterday. They had me reproduce the problem and then they ran diagnostics again and collected the logs. They also had me capture a screen recording of the problem and upload it to them.

I’ll keep this thread updated.
Excellent work @Wayward!
In my experience, when Apple starts asking to reproduce the issue and then collects that data, they are more motivated to address than issue than maybe others. May just be wishful thinking on my part. 😜

tomatoes44

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2022
Oddly it was working for me in the morning; and then stopped after 6pm - couldn't recognize any song on the radio

Otterman42

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2022
Any updates on this annoying issue? I was using it daily, throughout the day, and now find it useless.

Do you know which previous iOS would be the last one that worked properly? Thinking of downgrading to that version.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Ok, I’m here looking for answers to your first complaint.

Since updating to iOS 16 this new integration has severely ruined the music recognition experience for me. I used to be able to ask Siri “what song is this”, click on the result, and it launched in Apple Music where I could listen to it and add to my library. Oh, and if you knew where to look, your history of recognized songs was also in Apple Music.

NOW this %*@$! Shazam integration pops up and after multiple taps I’m staring at a screen offering me 4 months of Apple Music, which I already have, and I have to click the small print below telling them that I do. Ugh.

Help! How do I get my old experience back OR at the very least lessen the number of taps to open the song in Apple Music? Would turning off Shazam sync under iCloud fix this? Would downloading the app help? I just want recognized songs to open directly in Apple Music like they used to. 😖

NichoMarpaunk

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2022
it works fine for me, on ios 16.2 Beta 3 (iphone 12). I ask siri "what song is this" and it will show the song, then when i tap it, it launches the song on Apple Music.

you have to tap on that small apple logo at the right side, if you tap anywhere else on that notification, it will launches shazamm instead of apple music

Attachments

• IMG_1300.jpg
    IMG_1300.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 129

Otterman42

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2022
NichoMarpaunk, many thanks! It worked just now for me. Hopefully it continues to work.

Have you experienced the "Sorry, I can't recognize music right now. Please try again in a bit." at all?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.