Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TazG

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2016
Hi there!

Every time I ask Siri to call my mother (or "mom"), she tries to call ME instead (insert Sigmond Freud joke here). I've removed and re-added the relationship on my contact card. I've confirmed that my card has been selected as "My Info" in Siri's preferences. I've restarted and rebooted. Short of doing a complete re-install, I have no idea what to try next.

Any suggestions?

Side note: having Siri tell me that I am my own mother is one of the more disturbing interactions I've ever had with a computer.

-Taz

Reactions: Rok73 and 5105973

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Enunciate more carefully. I had a similar issue with confusion between calling "home" and "mom". I changed "mom" in my contacts to "mother".

Reactions: M. Gustave

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I believe you can tell Siri to call you whatever you want, so you can do that and tell Siri to call you <something> so that when you ask for "mother" or "mom" it doesn't associate it with you. Alternatively and similarly I believe you can tell Siri that a certain contact is your mother so that it would learn that, so you can try that instead or as well.

TazG

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2016
Enunciate more carefully. I had a similar issue with confusion between calling "home" and "mom". I changed "mom" in my contacts to "mother".
Thanks, JoeBlow7777! Unfortunately, there's no issue with enunciation (I record voice overs on the side), and I've tried "mother" and "Mom" in the contacts. "Mom" never works. "Mother" works about 40% of the time. So frustrating.

Delete the contact. Reprogram the contact.
Hi Relentless Power! Are you suggesting I delete and reprogram my own card or my mother's? Thanks!

I believe you can tell Siri to call you whatever you want, so you can do that and tell Siri to call you <something> so that when you ask for "mother" or "mom" it doesn't associate it with you. Alternatively and similarly I believe you can tell Siri that a certain contact is your mother so that it would learn that, so you can try that instead or as well.
Thanks C DM! Good idea! I just tried your first idea. No luck there. And, Siri already knows my mom is "mom" and "mother" (the info is already programmed on my contact card). That's why Siri's mistake is so strange. On a side note, it has no problem with my dad. :)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Thanks, JoeBlow7777! Unfortunately, there's no issue with enunciation (I record voice overs on the side), and I've tried "mother" and "Mom" in the contacts. "Mom" never works. "Mother" works about 40% of the time. So frustrating.

Hi Relentless Power! Are you suggesting I delete and reprogram my own card or my mother's? Thanks!

Thanks C DM! Good idea! I just tried your first idea. No luck there. And, Siri already knows my mom is "mom" and "mother" (the info is already programmed on my contact card). That's why Siri's mistake is so strange. On a side note, it has no problem with my dad. :)
Does your contact share any information with your mother's contact (a phone number or email address or anything else)?

TazG

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2016
Does your contact share any information with your mother's contact (a phone number or email address or anything else)?
Nope. Checked that. I don't even appear in a related names field.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Have you asked Siri, "Who is my mom/mother?" It should bring up their contact card. If it doesn't, the problem may start there.

TazG

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2016
Have you asked Siri, "Who is my mom/mother?" It should bring up their contact card. If it doesn't, the problem may start there.
I asked it both versions, and Siri got it right both times, correctly identifying my mom.

DarkExistence

Suspended
Aug 11, 2016
Hi there!

Every time I ask Siri to call my mother (or "mom"), she tries to call ME instead (insert Sigmond Freud joke here). I've removed and re-added the relationship on my contact card. I've confirmed that my card has been selected as "My Info" in Siri's preferences. I've restarted and rebooted. Short of doing a complete re-install, I have no idea what to try next.

Any suggestions?

Side note: having Siri tell me that I am my own mother is one of the more disturbing interactions I've ever had with a computer.

-Taz
You sure you aren't your own mother?

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
Do you say "Call *my* mother/mom"? Have you tried omitting the 'my' and just saying "call mom"?

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I'm sorry I know this problem is a huge pain in the butt for you but it's been an amusing thread.

It reminded me of this story I used to read to the kids:

image.jpeg

sawah

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2010
Do you have anyone using your iCloud, like kids if you have any that might have a contact called mom which would be you? Weird I know but worth a shot.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Do you have anyone using your iCloud, like kids if you have any that might have a contact called mom which would be you? Weird I know but worth a shot.
That sounds vaguely like an Alfred Hitchcock story premise. Very creepy like that old scary story standard: "And then Daisy realized the killer was calling her from inside the house."

I was just over on the latest Planet of the Apps thread and I think someone should show this thread to Will.I.Am and Eddy Cue and I bet they could make another show about this and work Gwyneth Paltrow in somehow. She's blonde and Hitchcock liked casting blondes, so it would continue a tradition.

Clearly I have had too much internets for the day. I'm vacationing with my husband's family. I think I've lost what's left of my mind as a result. :D

Reactions: 997440

sawah

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2010
That sounds vaguely like an Alfred Hitchcock story premise. Very creepy like that old scary story standard: "And then Daisy realized the killer was calling her from inside the house."

I was just over on the latest Planet of the Apps thread and I think someone should show this thread to Will.I.Am and Eddy Cue and I bet they could make another show about this and work Gwyneth Paltrow in somehow. She's blonde and Hitchcock liked casting blondes, so it would continue a tradition.

Clearly I have had too much internets for the day. I'm vacationing with my husband's family. I think I've lost what's left of my mind as a result. :D

Not sure why it sounds weird. My kids used to back up to my iCloud. And they had contacts called mom. Not sure how a mistake couldn't happen and those could end up on your phone. Not really Alfred Hitchcock like lol.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Not sure why it sounds weird. My kids used to back up to my iCloud. And they had contacts called mom. Not sure how a mistake couldn't happen and those could end up on your phone. Not really Alfred Hitchcock like lol.
I was pretty insane at that point. I love my in laws but two weeks with everybody in a small space. I'm easygoing and it's all more fun than it sounds but still...:confused::eek:

Reactions: 997440
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.