Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ReardenMetal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 1, 2015
Los Angeles
Having owned the S0, S3 and currently an S4, is anyone else annoyed by Siri‘s consistent lag in returning answers?

Siri is, more than half the time, asking me to wait whenever I invoke her, this is especially true when my hands aren’t free and I need to set a simple timer. Surely, not something that must leverage a fleet of Siri servers to complete; it’s a timer. Would it kill my battery to leverage onboard computing power to set something as integral to the watch experience as a timer?

Don’t get me wrong, I still use Siri on my watch many times per day, everyday and like the raise to listen feature that eliminated “Hey Siri”, but I’d like to see far less than half my queries asking for me to wait there while she figures things out. Failed queries are another matter too.

I suspect some of this is because the Bluetooth connection to a nearby iPhone is far slower yet more energy efficient than a WiFi/LTE connection. Would it be too battery intensive to, by default, relay all (or some) Siri queries via wifi and LTE first, then use Bluetooth as the fallback? I don’t know.

Do WiFi/LTE queries suffer the same problem? I don’t know without extensively testing it first. Thinking out loud here as this watch gets better, more amazing and more powerful each year.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
It is only a problem for me when it used Bluetooth and is taking to Siri through the phone - super fast on WiFi and cellular

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Siri on my S3 with watchOS 5 was always fast enough but I got “hold a moment” on my X on iOS 13 regularly which never happened on 12.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Been like this for SO long. Siri is atrociously slow on every single Apple Watch version while connected to iPhone over Bluetooth, and Apple doesn’t seem to care to improve this for reasons beyond me.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Been like this for SO long. Siri is atrociously slow on every single Apple Watch version while connected to iPhone over Bluetooth, and Apple doesn’t seem to care to improve this for reasons beyond me.

I agree. In my opinion Siri is just a **** storm. Absolute garbage. It’s responsiveness I mean. When it works it actually is quite flexible. But that’s when…

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
I've only had my S4 for 5 days, but I use Siri extensively, and so far I've been *very* impressed with Siris speed. She's virtually instant whenever I ask her to do something, which is fantastic. The only times I've encountered issues is when my phone is far away, so I think Siri is trying to connect to it by Bluetooth, resulting in those issues described above. If the phone is nearby, I have no problems at all.

christianji

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2013
Germany
I've only had my S4 for 5 days, but I use Siri extensively, and so far I've been *very* impressed with Siris speed. She's virtually instant whenever I ask her to do something, which is fantastic. The only times I've encountered issues is when my phone is far away, so I think Siri is trying to connect to it by Bluetooth, resulting in those issues described above. If the phone is nearby, I have no problems at all.
Are you on WatchOS6 and iOS13 or still on watchOS 5 / iOS12?

Steveatesh

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2014
North east England

Siri on my Aw4 was really fast until I updated to WatchOS6 but since then she has been very intermittent with speed of response and also breaking off her answer a second or two into her reply. I think OS6 has broken her, Apple support told me its a known issue and is being worked upon.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Siri has never been great on the watch for me. The amount of times I’ve tried to set a timer and it tries the think about it because of the background noise is unreal. I just turn to my echo and say ‘Alexa, set a bloody timer for 20 mins’ lol. I’d say 7 times out of 10 the watch works though.

dmr2112

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2017
Experience it 100% of the time on my Series 0 Apple Watch enough that I didn't bother with using Siri because I could ask my iPhone faster usually. On the Series 5 now and haven't had the issue recently at all. I feel like watch age is probably the main issue. Second is a bluetooth, wifi, LTE speed. I think obviously if a watch is relying on direct wifi or LTE connection it should be instant almost based on location and the wifi obviously. Bluetooth coming from the phone tends to be where most of the problems lie though.

achappy

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2017
Siri on my S3 is really fast and I’m on watchOS6 and iOS 13. It responds immediately on Hey Siri, answers quickly and dictation is fast too. So fast that I returned the S5 I tried out for a week because I didn’t see much difference in speed.

However, there is a caveat. One of the iOS 13 Betas unpaired my watch and I was forced to repair as new. Ever since then my S3 has been extremely fast. watchOS 6 didn’t change anything for me.

christianji

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2013
Germany
Experience it 100% of the time on my Series 0 Apple Watch enough that I didn't bother with using Siri because I could ask my iPhone faster usually. On the Series 5 now and haven't had the issue recently at all. I feel like watch age is probably the main issue. Second is a bluetooth, wifi, LTE speed. I think obviously if a watch is relying on direct wifi or LTE connection it should be instant almost based on location and the wifi obviously. Bluetooth coming from the phone tends to be where most of the problems lie though.

Feel you're right. Today I shut down my iPhone SE and connected to home Wifi which is pretty strong with my AW4. Disabled Siri on watch, restarted Watch and re-enabled it. Siri has been quick and snappy, 100% reliable as it should be.
Turned on phone then, connected via bluetooth and Siri is gone...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.