Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tjespo22

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
Staten Island NY
some pics.

dam do i love this lens. 70-200 2.8

random
IMG_4090.jpg

IMG_4120.jpg

IMG_4119.jpg

IMG_4118.jpg

IMG_4117.jpg

IMG_4113.jpg

IMG_4107.jpg

IMG_4088.jpg

IMG_4086.jpg

matt311rocks

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2006
Ohh yeah skateboarding. I just started back up after not touching a board for like 3 years. I really like the 5th photo down of the skateboarder.

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Ohh yeah skateboarding. I just started back up after not touching a board for like 3 years. I really like the 5th photo down of the skateboarder.

i just started back a couple of months ago after not having touched one since the late 70s or early 80s

things have definitely changed and i first got a modern steep concave, narrow deck (7.5") with narrow trucks and hard wheels at zumiez, which most seem to be these days and it was very hard to ride since it was definitely designed for street tricks

i then got a board a little closer to the old style boards which was flatter, wider, and had extra wide independent 149 trucks on them and that helped the learning process go faster and is easy to use

i have since tried to go back to the narrow and steep concaved board and i put even smaller trucks and harder wheels on them and it's a real rush trying to learn the new stuff people do these days which goes beyond back and forth, right and left, and inclines

a mid level skateboarder today does stuff only pros did in the old days and the pros today do stuff that is amazingly brave, or foolhardy

i just don't get the whole thing about people not wanting to wear protection these days

HomeingPigeon

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2007
I like how you got all of the kids having fun. I think that just goes to show that if you gives kids a skate park they will use it. Right now where I live there is a big debate over weather they should bad skateboarding from the whole town. Great pictures though. I like the 5th one.

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Rzrs, prefab skateparks? dont waste your time.

for most beginners, the prefab skatepark is a must

i am still learning and when i fall at the skatepark, which is becoming less and less, and it does not hurt as much as falling on the street in the asphalt where it can scrape you up badly...even with a lot of pads

but i do like the challenge of the street more with sidewalk grating, cracks, potholes, and debris...skating over those can make you fall but learning how to skate over them and retain balance is the best way to progress quickly...where i used to learn to swerve around a grating in the begining on the street, i now ride right over it and get a big jolt but still stay on the board

the obstacles on the street, which are always changing and sometimes severe, are what makes skating much more fun than a skatepark

but i am not at the level yet where i can do all my skating in the street because i would still rather learn to ollie better and control curb sliding skills at the skatepark where i can fall on slick concrete vs. very abrasive asphalt

and the pyramid at the skatepark is still safer to work with that a sharp angle change in the street

even the asphalt skateparks do not have the same level of debris, cracks, and potholes as the street

the street also has the added danger of traffic and pedestrians/animals/police so it's a good idea to hone one's skills at the park before hitting the street level skating right away

eventually, all riders that i know of a certain level get tired of all local skateparks and work their skating almost exclusively on the street...but the skatepark is the most valuable resource for beginners where i live

anyway, those are great pictures of skating and showing the basic forms of the sport...and it does capture some of the essence of the fun of it

wakka092

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2007
Whoa, I see helmets. Most of the skaters I know, well, don't use them. :( But awesome pics!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.