Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Heliotropen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2016
Hi guys,

So I'm now booting very successfully from a Transcend StoreJet500, and I really like the speed and everything.

But since I never turn my imac off always just let it sleep on it's own - I'm a bit worried about the drive.
It seam to run a bit warm / it's warm not burning when i put my hand on it (not sure how warm it's supossed to be?)

Does anyone know about how Mac OS High Sierra handles booting from external SSD in terms of letting the drive sleep when the mac sleeps and so on? ... it seams that at least a few times it seams like the drive is still on though the mac is sleeping. - Obviously it makes me worry about the SSDs health over time.

Thanx.

sergeyz

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2018
Russia
Unfortunately I can not say about the Thunderbolt drive, but my USB SSD sleeps simultaneously with macOS.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Hi guys,

So I'm now booting very successfully from a Transcend StoreJet500, and I really like the speed and everything.

But since I never turn my imac off always just let it sleep on it's own - I'm a bit worried about the drive.
It seam to run a bit warm / it's warm not burning when i put my hand on it (not sure how warm it's supossed to be?)

Does anyone know about how Mac OS High Sierra handles booting from external SSD in terms of letting the drive sleep when the mac sleeps and so on? ... it seams that at least a few times it seams like the drive is still on though the mac is sleeping. - Obviously it makes me worry about the SSDs health over time.

Thanx.

The warmth is likely just the Thunderbolt chipset. Mine is the same (Samsung 850 Pro 1TB in a Seagate Backup Plus 2.5”’enclosure).

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I've been booting and running a Mac Mini for over 5 years using an external USB3 SSD.

No problems with sleep, but, I have sleep set to "never" in the energy saver panel.
I -do- let the display sleep, however.

One thing I would advise:
I believe it's better to TURN OFF the Mac at night, and reboot it in the morning.
That way you always get "a clean start".

My SSD's run "just warm to the touch" all day, never seem to get beyond that.

sergeyz

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2018
Russia
One thing I would advise:
I believe it's better to TURN OFF the Mac at night, and reboot it in the morning.
That way you always get "a clean start".
I'm used to restarting it only when updates require it - macOS is not Windows ))

Last edited:

Heliotropen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2016
Okay, the problem is that the light stays on on the "enclosure" even if it goes to sleep.

Back long ago when I was a windows guy I always turned it off; I can't remember but I was adviced years ago to never turn off the mac, unless I installed updates or something (like it was not good for it, compared to being turned on) - but with botting from this new SSD I don't want to fry it. :/

As for the energy panel; I actually use "amphetamine" to never turn it off during my work day (only the display) then I close down amphetamine when it's done, and then it goes to sleep.

Perhaps I should reinvestigte TURNING IT OFF again. I'm really in doubt there.

Everything runs fine (it always does) it's just the live of the SSD that worries me.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Try the "turn it off at night" routine for 4 days in succession.
See how it goes...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.