Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Flyview

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
Hi everyone!

Does anyone know of a way to have the laptop go to sleep when the lid is closed, but NOT if the display times out from inactivity or when I manually turn it off with a "hot corner shortcut"? Sometimes I don't need the display on but I want it to stay awake,. but I would also like it to go to sleep if I actually close the lid.

Thanks!

Flyview

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
I was able to achieve this using the free "Amphetamine" app. It allows you to make the distinction between the computer sleeping when the display is off and when the lid is closed. So I've set it to keep the computer awake indefinitely except if the lid is closed. I set the system option "Prevent automatic sleeping on power adapter when the display is off" to disabled, so that the system sleeps when I close the lid, even if it's plugged in. I previously had this on in order to not have the computer go to sleep if the display timed out, but it only worked for when it was plugged in, and I didn't necessarily want it to stay awake with the lid closed. Now the computer will sleep either when the lid is closed or when you manually tell it to sleep via the Apple menu or the power button, and remain awake even if the screen times out or is turned off, either on battery or plugged in.

Flyview

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
Try Clamshell from App Store It's free and has some features of the Amphetamine

I think Amphetamine is free as well!

I use "Prevent automatic sleeping on power adapter when the display is off" in settings. Works for me.

Okay? That doesn't solve the computer going to sleep when turning the screen off without closing the lid while you are on battery power.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.