Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alanmadzar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2019
San Jose
Is anyone familiar with how the Slot Utility App functioned on the old Mac Pro? I plan on getting the new Mac Pro 2019, and want to know how bandwidth can be allocated in respect to a lot of the "Pro-Apps" that Apple has teamed up with.

If I planned on adding on PCIe NVMe RAID Cards that required a lot of bandwidth, would I be able to configure the Slot Utility App to direct that bandwidth to the cards? Instead of allocating the bandwidth to MPX Modules that, from my understanding, won't require a lot of bandwidth for their GPU function?

alanmadzar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2019
San Jose
The utility is just to let you change the order of the cards. It won't make a X4 card run like an X8 card. You can't change the number of lanes a card has been electrically programmed for.
Right, but my question is, could you potentially allocate LESS bandwidth to cards that may be over-consuming bandwidth that could be allocated to other cards depending on what is needed out of the system? (Ex. MPX modules installed into MacPro PCIe slots, and storage RAID card installed into PCIe slots. You are running photoshop and don't need heavy GPU performance. But, you are transferring bulks of data that require fast storage performance and high capacity. So, you allocate the bandwidth to the storage card as opposed to the GPU.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.