Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ryansebiz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 7, 2008
I have a 2021 16" MacBook Pro and my wife has a 2019 15" MacBook Pro, both running macOS 12.3.1. I have a UniFi gigabit network with a Dream Machine Pro and Switch Lite 16, also running the latest firmware. I ran iperf3 with my hardwired PC as the server and each MacBook Pro as clients one at a time using the same Ethernet cable and Cable Matters USB-C to Ethernet adapter. Here are the results:

• 2019 MacBook Pro: 911 Mbits/sec
  • 2021 MacBook Pro: 519 Mbits/sec
I also got the same results with:
  • A spare Cable Matters USB-C to Ethernet adapter using the same Ethernet cable
  • A Uni USB-C to Ethernet adapter using the same Ethernet cable
  • Each of the three adapters with another Ethernet cable
  • Each of the three adapters with another Ethernet cable on a different port on my switch
  • Repeating the above steps with all three USB-C ports on my 2021 MacBook Pro
image 4-9-22 at 3.52 pm.jpg

cleanshot 2022-04-09 at 15.57.44@2x.png

UPDATE

Thanks to @lcubed and @glenthompson for solving the problem.

The issue is that macOS does not have the gigabit USB Ethernet drivers to support the Realtek RTL8153 chipset that is used in the USB-C to Ethernet adapters that most brands use (and that I tried).

The solution is to purchase a USB-C to Ethernet adapter with a Realtek RTL8156 chipset because macOS does have the drivers to support these adapters. These are usually 2.5Gbps adapters (not 1Gbps).

I purchased the Plugable 2.5Gbps adapter - https://plugable.com/products/usbc-e2500

Hallelujah gigabit speeds via iPerf3!

CleanShot 2022-04-15 at 21.43.58@2x.png

Last edited:

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Same version of MacOS? Any differences in other software? Have you tried with a different userid? Can you run the test in safe mode to eliminate any other software as an issue?

Reactions: ryansebiz

ryansebiz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 7, 2008
Same version of MacOS? Any differences in other software? Have you tried with a different userid? Can you run the test in safe mode to eliminate any other software as an issue?
Thanks for your reply. Here are the answers to your questions:

1. Same version of MacOS?
    1. Yes, both Macs are running macOS 12.3.1
  2. Any differences in other software?
    1. No
  3. Have you tried with a different userid?
    1. Yes, logged into my wife's account on my 2021 MacBook Pro and got the same results
  4. Can you run the test in safe mode to eliminate any other software as an issue?
    1. Yes, ran safe mode on my 2021 MacBook Pro and got the same results

Anything else I can try?

Thanks again.

rehkram

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2018
upstate NY
Something worth testing even if just to eliminate the possibilities:

Have you tried swapping the two machines around and retesting? In other words move your m/c to your wife's physical location, and her m/c to yours, then retesting.

If your speed results are inverted, could be interference, and/or bad cable / keystone RJ45 jack(s) in your location's signal chain.

Are you both plugging-in to wall plate ethernet connecters, or running exposed cables to the switch?

I'm not familiar with iperf3, looks interesting.

Last edited:

lcubed

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2020
it may be a realtek chipset issue in the USB-C ethernet adapter

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
To see the speed of your wires connect while holding 'option' key while clicking the Finder Menu Wi-Fi icon in Finder Menu! A drop-down will give the information of the connection speed is at and frequency and other thing too!

lcubed

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2020
To see the speed of your wires connect while holding 'option' key while clicking the Finder Menu Wi-Fi icon in Finder Menu! A drop-down will give the information of the connection speed is at and frequency and other thing too!
wired or wireless?

the OP is asking about a wired ethernet connection.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
wired or wireless?

the OP is asking about a wired ethernet connection.
OK! you made you point! Like others have said an bug in the Ethernet isa if you go into System Preferences->Network, Advanced button and look at the tab to make sure your set to max speed! Plus as former Network Engineer more and more people are still stuck in CAT 5E cables! The cutting edge is 10GH speeds CAT 7 cables! His networking speed would go way up!

ryansebiz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 7, 2008
it may be a realtek chipset issue in the USB-C ethernet adapter

Thank you @lcubed and @glenthompson - this solved the problem. I updated my original post with the solution.

Reactions: rehkram
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.