Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aeterno

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2018
It takes Finder much longer to load RAW (in this case .CR2 from a Canon 7D) files on my new 2017 MacBook Pro 15" (2.9 GHz 10.13.4 up to date OS) when tapping the spacebar to preview the file than my 2012 MacBook Pro 15" running Mountain Lion. Any way to speed up these previews on the new machine? Is this a problem other people have?

Also worth noting: I am not previewing the images from the CF card; I am previewing them from the MacBook Pro's built in SSD so USB bottleneck or slow cards is not the issue.

This is a big part of my daily workflow and using an app like LR or Photos doesn't seem to make sense since the goal is to organize RAW files and then send them in the RAW unedited format for post production work elsewhere.

Here is a link to my original Apple discussions forum post. It has all the troubleshooting I've tried so far:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/33206465

Also here is a link to a video I made with screen recordings to show how much slower it actually is. There are skip-ahead points in the comments, separated by laptop.

Anny suggestions, info, etc. are appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.