Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gk09

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2016
Hi everyone,

I know there are hundreds of "coffee spill" topics on the net but i think my problem/question is a little different.

As you guessed, i spilled huge amount of coffee on my 2 month old Macbook pro, immediately turned it off, searched and read people's experiences about that situation, cleaned it with contact cleaner (a few times), let it dry and turned it on.

At first, i thought i was lucky. Everything was alright, (battery, trackpad, screen etc.) Apple Diagnostics found no issues. But then i realized system is laggy and slow. I made benchmark tests and CPU & GPU both always scored 1/4 of expected value. Strange thing is GPU scores normal under Windows 10 on Bootcamp (although CPU still scores 1/4). And Windows 10 is not laggy. So i think GPU is not harmed.

So, i wonder if i there is a way to make GPU score normal under Os X too?

(I tried SMC and NVRam reset, clean installed El Capitan, removed IOplatformFamily.kext files but none of them worked. Memory and ssd tests say ok too.)

Thanks for replies and sorry for my English.

Last edited:

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
When you say you cleaned it with contact cleaner did you remove the heat sink?

gk09

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2016
Yes i removed it. But applied thermal paste.(cheapest one, if it differs.)

Last edited:

gk09

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2016
Cpu temps are about 40 celsius when idle. When i force fan to run with a software it reduces to 33. All sensors seems normal. Also there is nothing strange on activity monitor. It can play 4k videos smoothly, but when i maximize a window it lags. Extracting a zip file takes 20x longer etc.

Yes, i reset NVRAM and SMC.

As i said GPU (Iris 6100) works normal under Windows. But does not on Os X. Maybe it can with some modification but i couldn't find a source about it.

Last edited:

Cuyler B

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2017
sorry for the necro post. I too had a liquid spill into a MBP. and I also experience normal performance while booted into Windows 10, yet while booted in MacOS Sierra it's brutally slow. I'm thinking of reinstalling MacOS. did you fix your problem? what have you done about it since it happened? thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.