Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

giacomopc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2010
Hi, I just bought an M1 MacBook Air and mostly everything works great, with a few exceptions. I usually like to disable mouse acceleration because I'm much more precise with that setting. The way I do it is by going to Terminal and entering
defaults write .GlobalPreferences com.apple.mouse.scaling -1
It works just fine on my Intel MacBook Pro with Big Sur. But on my Air, while it does remove mouse acceleration, the mouse starts to move around 0.3x as fast as it would be on my Intel MBP or any Windows machine, for that matter. I also tried installing the latest beta of USB Overdrive to see if that works, but it doesn't detect any of my peripherals. Any clues with this? My mouse has a max DPI of 2000dpi, and i usually use it at 1800dpi, so i would need something like a 5400dpi mouse to compensate for the slowdown, so that's a no go.

Other notes:
- Mouse is a Roccat Lua (it has no drivers for mac, but it works perfectly on my Intel MBP)
- I connect it through an USB-C hub.

Thank you :)

giacomopc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2010
Have you tried just changing the tracking speed in System Preferences?
Unfortunately doing that makes the mouse acceleration come back again, because it modifies that preference (.GlobalPreferences com.apple.mouse.scaling) to an value from 0 to around 4 (no acceleration is -1).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.