Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
USA
I've been somewhat frustrated with the performance of my rMBP (early 2015, 13-inch) with Catalina. Safari feels sluggish (it kind of "jerks" and "stutters" on many major websites). Finder isn't bad, but there's this sense of slowness that wasn't there before.

My rMBP has an i7 processor, 16GB of RAM, and there's more than 100GB available, still, on the drive. What could be wrong/causing this? Is it simply the age of the Mac, or something else?

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
Either the (integrated) GPU is starting to show it's age or the drivers in 10.15 aren't great. I had the same issue on my 2015 15" when on integrated graphics. The dedicated GPU was perfectly smooth.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
As above, it's a 5 year old machine now... time and web content moves on. If it were a PC it would likely have been scrapped by now.

CPU (and GPUs, especially integrated) from 5 years ago simply don't have the same features in their instruction set to speed up many modern operations that more recent CPUs do.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I've been somewhat frustrated with the performance of my rMBP (early 2015, 13-inch) with Catalina. Safari feels sluggish (it kind of "jerks" and "stutters" on many major websites). Finder isn't bad, but there's this sense of slowness that wasn't there before.

My rMBP has an i7 processor, 16GB of RAM, and there's more than 100GB available, still, on the drive. What could be wrong/causing this? Is it simply the age of the Mac, or something else?

I am also using a 2015 13” MacBook Pro with 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD, running 10.15.4. Mine runs pretty snappy. I did a clean install of 10.15.4. How did you do your install clean or as a upgrade install? If you did an upgrade install, maybe try creating a new partition and clean install 10.15.4 and see if it performs any better as a test. If it does then maybe consider doing a clean install.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.