Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stoven

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2006
I'm going to the "xango cup" with Real Salt Lake playing Real Madrid. Obviously, since Beckham is coming and this is the only time he'll ever play in Utah, and I'm sitting 4th row, I want to bring my SLR to get some pics of the event. It's a Pentax *ist, and I was wondering if you guys have any problems getting them into the stadium?

I know I should call and ask, but who do I call? Do you guys think they will even care, or should I hide it at the gate?

djbahdow01

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
Northeast, CT
Stoven said:
I'm going to the "xango cup" with Real Salt Lake playing Real Madrid. Obviously, since Beckham is coming and this is the only time he'll ever play in Utah, and I'm sitting 4th row, I want to bring my SLR to get some pics of the event. It's a Pentax *ist, and I was wondering if you guys have any problems getting them into the stadium?

I know I should call and ask, but who do I call? Do you guys think they will even care, or should I hide it at the gate?

Youll be fine, just don't try to bring in any pro lenses such as a prime 300mm+ lens. I have brought my Nikon D70 in with a 70-200 F2.8 lens without any problems to various pro baseball games. Im sure soccer wouldn't be any different. Also don't plan on selling any of the pics you take they are still property of the team since you took them in a private place(their stadium)

Stoven

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2006
Haha, I'm not going to sell them. Just because I have an SLR doesn't mean they're going to look good :) I wish I could bring my 300mm lens though, that would be great.

sjl

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
Stoven said:
Haha, I'm not going to sell them. Just because I have an SLR doesn't mean they're going to look good :) I wish I could bring my 300mm lens though, that would be great.
You'll probably find that they tend to focus on the pro-grade long lenses. eg: In Melbourne, there's a policy of "no lenses longer than 200mm". I have, however, had a friend walk in with a 75-300 without a problem: the gate guards were focusing (no pun intended, but I'll leave it there anyway :D) on the pro-grade lenses -- ie, Canon's white lenses.

So I'd have major trouble if I tried to bring in my 100-400 (arrived yesterday, along with a flash and battery grip - woo!), but if I took in a friend's 70-200 f/2.8, there'd be no problem.

Stoven

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2006
The only problem is, we just got this camera and I'm just starting out with photography.... I sort of understand all of the settings, but the lens that came with it will only go to something like 18-55mm f/3.5... and I have serious doubts about getting good pics with the lighting. I've never tried it before.

As I understand it, you open the aperture to let more light in, but with sports you want a fast shutter speed. But then you run into it being too dark, so you can boost the ISO, but then it will look grainy... so I need a faster lens? I don't think I'll end up getting any good shots without them being blurry.

sjl

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
Stoven said:
The only problem is, we just got this camera and I'm just starting out with photography.... I sort of understand all of the settings, but the lens that came with it will only go to something like 18-55mm f/3.5... and I have serious doubts about getting good pics with the lighting. I've never tried it before.

As I understand it, you open the aperture to let more light in, but with sports you want a fast shutter speed. But then you run into it being too dark, so you can boost the ISO, but then it will look grainy... so I need a faster lens? I don't think I'll end up getting any good shots without them being blurry.
If you're going to be there anyway, and you're not desperately wanting to have pictures to keep, there's only one word of advice I can give you: experiment. Try shots at different settings, and see how they turn out (the great thing about digital is, it tells you what settings the camera was at when the shot was taken, so you don't have issues with remembering.)

A flash might help if you're allowed, but they're only good for shots within a certain distance. I wouldn't, for example, bother taking a shot of Niagara Falls at night with a flash; the shot wouldn't work. Too far away.

beavo451

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2006
Stoven said:

Yes that is generally how it works. Hence the name "fast lens". Higher ISO grain isn't too much of a problem. Just make sure you either nail the exposure or go slightly over. If you underexpose, that is where you get a severe amount of noise.

Also, our technique is very important. You will have to pan to get sharp photos of the players.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.