Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnmartin78

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
Canada
I'm looking for a new camera/laptop bag.Something not too bulky,but can hold my laptop,camera and several lenses and accessories.I've got it narrowed down to a couple manufacturers....Kata and Tamrac.Does anyone have any suggestions on which is a better bag.And if anyone has a suggestion on another manufacturer let me know.

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
Just got a Crumpler "Whickey & Cox", very nice bag, maybe a little tight but to counter that the zippers for the main section are against your back so it isn't easy to for someone to get access to your kit when in crowded spaces, obviously it also means it isnt ideal for quickly grabbing your camera but with a laptop potentially in there you have two potentially very expensive items you want to protect so being slow/controlled is more desirable.

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
I like my Tenba. Fits a bunch of lenses, two bodies and holds my macbook... a lot of weight, but good for the road.

BTW.. I use a crumpler 6milion dollar home for my day to day bag and only pull out the tenba when I need to take everything.

scotthayes

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Planet Earth
^^^^^^ totally agree, have a look at Crumpler bags.

I've got the daily 600 and it's a fab bag. Takes my camera, battery/grip sigma 24-70, nifty 50mm, canon 70-200 L, 430ex flash loads of bits and bobs and my 15" macbook pro.

Even with all that in there, still nice and comfortable to carry.

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
I picked up a Lowepro Fastpack 250 for the trip to Sydney I am currently on and am rather impressed so far. Comfortably holds my Macbook Pro, D90 with the kit 18-105mm fitted, my 70-300VR lens, lens hoods, filters, chargers and other random stuff. Access to both the laptop and the camera is quite quick.

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
LowePro Computrekker. I've had mine for years - rough conditions from beat-up trucks on horrible roads in Haiti, to raging blizzards on a snowmobile in Montana, to 5 foot seas in an open Zodiac. It's held up exceptionally well and offered great protection for my equipment. I'm sure there are other bags that work well - certainly there is no shortage of camera bag offerings out there - but the durability and weather proofing of the LowePro AW bags is really excellent.

numbersyx

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
Lowepro Fastpack 350 for 17" laptops is what I'm considering. Apparently, much better quality and construction than the kata...

PimpDaddy

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2007
If you have a 17" laptop I can really reccomend the Lowepro Compurover AW. Really nice backpack that fits a 17" laptop, crop camera with battery grip, 3-4 lenses and a flash. And that's just in the bottom camera compartment. There is a big compartment in the top of the bag that fits everything else, like cables, memory cards, clothes and other "random" stuff.
I had the Lowepro Computrekker for half a year but never used it because it lacked a compartment for the "random" stuff which the Compurover has :).

Oh yeah and comfort with this bag is great. Fully packed with all my camera gear, laptop, tripod and some clothes it is still rather comfy to carry around.

Edit: plus the all-weather(AW) function is a life saver if you live in or travel to a country with shifting weather conditions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.