Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
I've taken the plunge into 'more than just point and shoot' photography by buying a Canon 7D and an EF 50mm f/1.4 lens. The lens arrived in the mail yesterday and it doesn't seem to have a lens cap except for this protective cap that goes on the back of the lens. Is this normal? How do you protect your lens when you're out shooting?

P-Worm

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
The 50mm would have a front lens cap as would all lenses you buy. Did you buy used? Seems as though they forgot it.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Nope, it's new. Came from Amazon. Guess I should send it back?

P-Worm

I would not send back the entire rig for a lens cap. I would contact them after you inspect the hell out of that rig to ensure it was not used. Make sure you check the shutter actuations as well.

Ecoh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2009
USA

P-Worm

The lens would come with a lens cap. I would send it back and ask to exchange it for another one. Who knows what else might be wrong with the lens if it is missing a lens cap.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
Dude, we'll have to go out shooting sometime. Welcome to the world of DSLR photography!

I'd send the lens back, and like someone else said check the shutter actuations on the camera body. Did you buy it from amazon directly, or some other reseller via amazon?

And nice camera, I bought a Nikon D700 recently, the newer DSLR's are really starting to blow me away!

SLC

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I've taken the plunge into 'more than just point and shoot' photography by buying a Canon 7D and an EF 50mm f/1.4 lens. The lens arrived in the mail yesterday and it doesn't seem to have a lens cap except for this protective cap that goes on the back of the lens. Is this normal? How do you protect your lens when you're out shooting?

P-Worm

Canon often does not supply lens hoods- they sometimes charge extra for them, but should always supply lens caps. If the lens is in otherwise great condition, then I'd just ask them for a cap or go get one- leaving an associated part out at the packaging stage for a brand new product is fine- but if it wasn't in a factory-sealed box and the cap was missing, and it was sold as new, then I'd contact the seller about a return stating the reasons why.

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO

Now, did you buy it on Amazon but from another vendor, or did you buy from Amazon itself? Big difference there. Basically did the invoice come from Amazon or some other company?

I have concerns either way, maybe it was new, returned, they missed they lost the cap and resold it? Maybe it is actually a very good condition used item? Maybe it is in fact brand new and Canon ran out of lens caps that day? :)

PeteB

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
Canon often does not supply lens hoods- they sometimes charge extra for them, but should always supply lens caps. If the lens is in otherwise great condition, then I'd just ask them for a cap or go get one- leaving an associated part out at the packaging stage for a brand new product is fine- but if it wasn't in a factory-sealed box and the cap was missing, and it was sold as new, then I'd contact the seller about a return stating the reasons why.

I think the OP probably means a lens hood. I can't think of why a lens without a cap would pass quality control in the packing department.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I think the OP probably means a lens hood. I can't think of why a lens without a cap would pass quality control in the packing department.

I don't know, the OP mentioned a rear cap, so I just threw the hood thing out there because it's not a well-known fact (especially if you're used to purchasing Nikon glass!) Packaging errors happen, especially on Canon's scale, but so do unscrupulos vendors and returns and Amazon's relatively easy to hit "New and used from" and get into used territory.

Paul

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Some Canon lenses don't include a hood, but most include a hood. Now, all Canon lenses include lens caps in front and back, and both covering each end of the lens to prevent dust from getting on the glass. Dust on the rear or lens-mount's end can get inside the camera and eventually end-up on the sensor.

If the lens didn't include a lens cap, then i would return it to the vendor. Then I would buy a new one from another reputable vendor such as Adorama or B&H.

If the lens didn't come with a hood, that's not a problem. This lens does not include a hood, probably because it's not needed. The same with the 100mm Macro. However, one can buy aftermarket hoods for just about any Nikon, Canon, Tokina....and so forth lens, and cost a lot less than a brand-name hood.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
I don't know, the OP mentioned a rear cap, so I just threw the hood thing out there because it's not a well-known fact (especially if you're used to purchasing Nikon glass!) Packaging errors happen, especially on Canon's scale, but so do unscrupulos vendors and returns and Amazon's relatively easy to hit "New and used from" and get into used territory.

Paul

I have never had a packaging error with Canon nor Nikon cameras and lenses, and order a lot of such at the "U" I work at. Packaging errors are often caused by vendors, and this can be easily noted if the package is not sealed with the manufacturer's plastic wrap. If the package is not sealed when I receive it, I send it right back.

chiefroastbeef

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas/ Hong Kong
Some Canon lenses don't include a hood, but most include a hood. Now, all Canon lenses include lens caps in front and back, and both covering each end of the lens to prevent dust from getting on the glass. Dust on the rear or lens-mount's end can get inside the camera and eventually end-up on the sensor.

If the lens didn't include a lens cap, then i would return it to the vendor. Then I would buy a new one from another reputable vendor such as Adorama or B&H.

If the lens didn't come with a hood, that's not a problem. This lens does not include a hood, probably because it's not needed. The same with the 100mm Macro. However, one can buy aftermarket hoods for just about any Nikon, Canon, Tokina....and so forth lens, and cost a lot less than a brand-name hood.

What he said, if it is the lens cap that protects the glass is missing, send it back. If you mean lens hood, a lot of companies don't include lens hoods unless it is a high dollar lens, at least for Nikon. My $380 35mm didn't come with a lens hood, while my $500 50mm 1.4G lens did, and of course the 24-70mm as well.

Jaiden

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2008
Sounds like you just got a "dud" so to speak, just send in a request for a new cap, no lens should go without one. Until then I suggest you keep it very far away from any possible source of scratches, etc. for obvious reasons.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
If you mean lens hood, a lot of companies don't include lens hoods unless it is a high dollar lens, at least for Nikon.

The difference is that Nikon doesn't provide hoods for lenses it doesn't make them for, where Canon sometimes doesn't provide them for lenses it does, but has them as an extra-cost accessory. In general, both companies make hoods for lenses which benefit from them, though you can always get a third-party rubber hood that screws into the filter ring, but those aren't generally deep enough to reduce all flare. Conversely, I generally shoot my 400/2.8 with only one of the two hoods attached since it's easier to transport that way and I find that hood deep enough to do the job by itself.

chiefroastbeef

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas/ Hong Kong
The difference is that Nikon doesn't provide hoods for lenses it doesn't make them for, where Canon sometimes doesn't provide them for lenses it does, but has them as an extra-cost accessory. In general, both companies make hoods for lenses which benefit from them, though you can always get a third-party rubber hood that screws into the filter ring, but those aren't generally deep enough to reduce all flare. Conversely, I generally shoot my 400/2.8 with only one of the two hoods attached since it's easier to transport that way and I find that hood deep enough to do the job by itself.

The Nikkor lenses that didn't come with lens hoods Nikon make lens hoods for, I don't know why Nikon didn't include one, both lenses that didn't come with lens hoods were primes. Though I bought them cheaply on Ebay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.