Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
Cadillac, MI
My sister just asked me to help her pick a camera, and I'm hoping someone here might be able to help (I have much more experience on the video side of things, rather than still photography)

My sister is a photography enthusiast; I know she's looking at going into it for a career. That being the case, the first thing I suggested was a DSLR, but I guess she wants to wait on that... both because of cost, and the fact that she's going on a trip overseas and wants a compact camera that she can keep with her without a camera bag or anything...

I personally use a Nikon D40, which obviously falls on the DSLR side of things... and as I mentioned, most of my work is in video, so I really don't know much about still cameras, especially on the "consumer" level.

I'm guessing her budget is going to be $200-$400. Hopefully I've provided enough info for someone to point me in the right direction... but if you need any more info from me, just let me know... Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
Cadillac, MI
i'd recommend a canon g9....one of the best point and shoot cameras

Thanks... looking around these boards, it looks like that camera is suggested a lot... that's got to say something good for it! =)

It appears that the camera has been discontinued, though? Any thoughts on the G10, which appears to be its successor?

Qwest905

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
g10 is just as great...but it is a little more expensive..that's why i didn't recommend it

the difference between g9-g10 is the focal length...it doesn't have as long asa reach as the g9 but it has a wider focal length

also higher MP on the g10...

dubhe

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Norwich, UK
I love my Panasonic Lumix LX3 which I bought to replace my DSLR due to size, but it might be a little over budget. The cheaper Lumixs are good too but don't have so many manual options.

You might still find an Lumix LX2 which it replaced...

Qwest905

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
yes the lx3 is also a great camera that is probably even better than the g10 ...and much more compact...

just much higher priced

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I love my Panasonic Lumix LX3 which I bought to replace my DSLR due to size, but it might be a little over budget. The cheaper Lumixs are good too but don't have so many manual options.

For low budget there is this one:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q408budgetgroup/page8.asp

I wouldn't buy a previous generation Panasonic. I am gladly surprised by the improvement the current ones seem to be.

Qwest905

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
lol very much lower....but not in the price range that the OP was looking for

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

The Leica and Panasonic versions of the camera are nearly identical. I think Leica just came out with a newer model in this line the really is much beter. But I don't think there is yet a Panasonic version.

I think the only compact cameras that can shoot in RAW format are the Canon G9/G10 and the Leica/Panasonic d-lux/lx series.

You say she is an "enthusiast, looking at going into it for a career" and she does not want to cary a camera bag with her? That seems really odd. Most serious photographers would see the trip in terms of it's photographic opportunities and be planning what gear to take. Maybe she should re-think her planned career.

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
Cadillac, MI
Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions... I think I'll do some research into the Canon G10 and Lumix LX3 -- those sound like a couple good options. Hopefully one of them will be a good fit!

Qwest905

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
there's quite a few that shoot in raw..but those are the most popular

the fuji high end P&S are pretty good cameras as well and can shoot in raw

Suspended
Dec 29, 2007
G10 is a good choice. Also look at Panasonic FZ28, which is a very flexible camera (TONS of zoom, RAW, manual controls). It's light and small (for it's size) -- smaller than a DSLR, but bigger than a G10. Also, the TZ5 is a good travel camera -- lots of zoom for a tiny camera. Smaller than the G10.

For vacation travel, always get an extra battery.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
You say she is an "enthusiast, looking at going into it for a career" and she does not want to cary a camera bag with her? That seems really odd. Most serious photographers would see the trip in terms of it's photographic opportunities and be planning what gear to take. Maybe she should re-think her planned career.

Reading the OP's post, I pictured her as a Leica person.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
If you are an enthusiast, and looking for a P&S camera there is no better choice IMHO than the Canon G9 or G10.

They are simply the easiest cameras to use in manual mode and give fair image quality.

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
Cadillac, MI

That is a good point -- I do find it interesting that she has such a great opportunity for photography and doesn't want to carry a higher-end camera.

Again, I work with video, but whenever I'm on a trip I bring my FX1 (not exactly a compact camera), along with a bag of lighting, mics, extra batteries and other gear... and that all tends to stay with me in case a good shot pops up. I'm not sure what the big deal with carrying a DSLR is for her...

atlanticza

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Cape Town
Just purchased a Canon G10 to complement my D1 kit - great little camera with an optical viewfinder... a better way to go if your sister wants to hit the DSLR range later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.