Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M.Shaf213

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2018
My iPhone 12 Pro Max, just got a minor scuff. Will this affect it’s trade in value in September? It’s the only scuff on the phone.

Attachments

• 1D732A31-AC56-4378-83A0-191EAE692CA9.jpeg
    1D732A31-AC56-4378-83A0-191EAE692CA9.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,115

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Depends where you’re trading it in, last few times I’ve gone to apple for a refund and trade in, they’ve barely looked at the devices, they opened the box, yep it’s here and that’s it. 😂 (not that I had any damage on them devices)

Guess it depends on who you get inspecting it.

If they do see it, it’ll most likely affect your trade in price.

M.Shaf213

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2018
Depends where you’re trading it in, last few times I’ve gone to apple for a refund and trade in, they’ve barely looked at the devices, they opened the box, yep it’s here and that’s it. 😂 (not that I had any damage on them devices)

Guess it depends on who you get inspecting it.

If they do see it, it’ll most likely affect your trade in price.
How much do you think it’ll lower the value by?

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Hard to say. Do it in store though. If you mail it in to Apple. Phobio will probably consider the case totaled and knock $400 off. Then turn around and knock $10 off the mint condition sales price. To whomever they sell it to.

M.Shaf213

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2018
Hard to say. Do it in store though. If you mail it in to Apple. Phobio will probably consider the case totaled and knock $400 off. Then turn around and knock $10 off the mint condition sales price. To whomever they sell it to.
I’m probably gonna end up trading it in mail with Verizon, there aren’t any cracks on the phone, it’s just this small scuff that seems scary.

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
I’m probably gonna end up trading it in mail with Verizon, there aren’t any cracks on the phone, it’s just this small scuff that seems scary.
The short story is that if you mail in your trade device, you would probably face some sort of reductions or even a 0 value(some sort of a scam involved even with Apple's Phobia trade in partner).
You will be good as long as you trade it in person while visiting your carrier store or Apple store.

mrandyyu

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016
Birmingham, UK
As xnview above says, it may be possible to polish it.

Is that the silver or graphite colour? If silver, something like Cape Cod polishing cloths will take care of that, along with some elbow grease and perhaps 15-30 minutes of time.

If it doesn't remove the chip/scratch entirely, it will almost certainly make it look less obvious, which should pass inspection more easily.

Reactions: xnview and Nhwhazup

acorntoy

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2010
By far the most extensive damage I’ve seen, luckily you’ll get a “recycle for free” message.

/S.

Its nothing, if somebody offers a pittance for it don’t accept it. Somebody out there will pay near full price.

When I was young i was offered $25 to trade in a PSP because the battery door was cracked. I sold it on eBay for $175. Use your common sense, if you feel ripped off it’s probably because you are.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Apple$ and Fred Zed

acorntoy

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2010
How much do you think it’ll lower the value by?
Depends on the appraiser. A a**hole might offer you $50 a reasonable man might offer $600+. Don’t give it to the wrong person. If you’d be giddy getting the vehicle/device yourself at the price of the trade offer it’s probably better to explore other options.

Last edited:

acorntoy

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2010
Hopefully it won’t be Phobia doing the trade in this year. As I recall last year mine was done directly through Apple online. I’m with T-Mobile. I could be mistaken however.
I did a pro 12.9 through phobia that went perfectly. With trade ins you bet on getting an employee that doesn’t flag everything hoping for a promotion. Not a great scenario, but better than waiting 60+ days on eBay hoping the buyer doesn’t file a false report and make you lose the device and cash. Stress is worth a lot of money, and I find eBay and other sites don’t normally accommodate for it.

Last edited:

gettycb

Suspended
Sep 11, 2021
It wont affect anything.
If you do trade-in with iPhone, make sure you take photos before you send it out.
If shxt happens, you can use the photos as proof

Reactions: CallmeBigfat
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.