Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

monke

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 30, 2005
I know there's lots of threads on here about people asking about point and shoot and travel camera's, but here's another one for you to read.

Quite honestly I know nothing about camera's and don't know what to look for. I should correct that, I know the basics (ie Megapixels, Optical Zoom, etc.). I'm in need of a new travel camera since the Fujifilm Finepix F10 has decided to stop working (There's a problem when it saves the picture, it puts 'lines' on the picture [like TV blurriness] and Fujifilm wants $200 to fix it).

One camera I really like is the GE E1050 that was just released today. Along with 10.1 megapixels, it can record video at 1280x720. I don't really want a touchscreen, but I won't mind it. The only thing is it seems that GE doesn't have the best image quality, so we'll having to wait for reviews to pour in.

Here's what I'm asking for:
  1. 8 megapixels minimum
  2. 5x Optical Zoom
  3. Great image quality
  4. Small form factor (not Nano sized, but small)

Any recommendations or thoughts?
Thanks! :)

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
For travelling?

I think Panasonic really does think a bit different with their cameras. Many of their cameras shoot quite wide, which is great when you travel. Other companies may have 1 or 2 cameras that go to 28 mm equivalent, but you don't have a lot of choice with them. That, and those cameras usually have a 3x optical zoom. I don't know Panasonics very well, but I'm sure they'd have something that can shoot wideangle AND have a 4x or 5x optical zoom.

Otherwise, I'd suggest you find another Fuji. ;)

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
In a point and shoot camera, at this point, the fewer megapixels the better. Unfortunately, no camera companies really employ this philosophy. The next best bet for IQ is the size of the sensor. Fuji cameras have the biggest sensors of the point and shoots, as big as 1/1.6". Barring Fuji, I'd go with a Canon G9.

Touchscreen sounds like a phenomenally bad idea for a camera. On a camera you want mechanical controls (faster, more accurate for making adjustments) and anything that forces you to rely on an LCD that can be hard to see in bright sunlight is a mistake.

read:

http://www.dpreview.com

monke

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 30, 2005
For travelling?

I think Panasonic really does think a bit different with their cameras. Many of their cameras shoot quite wide, which is great when you travel. Other companies may have 1 or 2 cameras that go to 28 mm equivalent, but you don't have a lot of choice with them. That, and those cameras usually have a 3x optical zoom. I don't know Panasonics very well, but I'm sure they'd have something that can shoot wideangle AND have a 4x or 5x optical zoom.

Otherwise, I'd suggest you find another Fuji. ;)

I don't really need 5x optical zoom I guess, it was just something I figured I would like, but settling for 4x or 5x wouldn't be bad.

In a point and shoot camera, at this point, the fewer megapixels the better. Unfortunately, no camera companies really employ this philosophy. The next best bet for IQ is the size of the sensor. Fuji cameras have the biggest sensors of the point and shoots, as big as 1/1.6". Barring Fuji, I'd go with a Canon G9.

Touchscreen sounds like a phenomenally bad idea for a camera. On a camera you want mechanical controls (faster, more accurate for making adjustments) and anything that forces you to rely on an LCD that can be hard to see in bright sunlight is a mistake.

read:

http://www.dpreview.com

Thanks for the link, I think I was looking there earlier today.

100% agree on the touchscreen part. I can't see how it would be good, especially with smudges trying to preview pictures could get interesting.

I've also never liked looking at an LCD screen while trying to take a picture. Sure half the time it couldn't matter, but the other half when you're trying to get a good shot, it can get tricky.

I really like that Canon G9 you posted, but just to keep my options open, what are some camera's similar to that from other companies?

Thanks for the help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.