Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NastyMatt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2020
Any ideas how to make the zoom / font size smaller in Chome on an IPP (2020) 12.9” (doubt that makes any difference). I don’t mean pinch zoom I mean the actual font size.

As an example, I use Salesforce an in Safari everything is laid out as if on a desktop with tiles in the right place, open the same page in Chrome (as a desktop site) and the tiles (part of the page) are bigger and stacked further down the page, pinching simply lets me see it all in that format only smaller!!! Why not just use Safari? Well, some things do not work - like drop down lists do not appear (but they do in Chrome).

I have tried changing Enable text accessibility in web pages and Use dynamic type size for default text zoom level with no effect.

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
I am not super knowledgeable so I would ask some stupid questions that others can answer.

Is request desktop site available for Chrome on an iPad or only for Safari? To me it sounds that:

1. Chrome does not show you the desktop version of the site but the mobile version (treats the iPad as an iPhone)
2. Salesforce site is not optimized to have responsive design that adapts based on the device screen size

Without either of the two I am not sure that you can change something.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Does it need to be forced? I don't use Chrome on iOS devices because I read that RAM management with Chrome on an iPad/iPhone is worse compared to Safari. This is why I am asking :).

No, it seems to be the default. I was using Chrome on the iPad as I use it on my desktop but switched because Safari has the bookmarks toolbar - Chrome does not on iOS. I haven't perceived any performance issues when I do use it (2018 12.9 Pro).

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
No, it seems to be the default. I was using Chrome on the iPad as I use it on my desktop but switched because Safari has the bookmarks toolbar - Chrome does not on iOS. I haven't perceived any performance issues when I do use it (2018 12.9 Pro).
Thanks for the info! For now I got used to using Safari but good to know that there are no issues when it comes to RAM now with Chrome. This was suggested to me back then when I was with the 6th gen iPad and I was encountering really frequent apps and tabs reload. Maybe it was the combination of 2 GB RAM with Chrome ;).

So then I wonder is it something Chrome does not do well or Salesforce site is not optimized or both :D?

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
So then I wonder is it something Chrome does not do well or Salesforce site is not optimized or both :D?

Might be a combo of both though I think Chrome has to use the same fundamental engine as Safari on iOS. Memory use by Chrome has always been an issue on Windows but it appears to have improved relatively recently. And apps and tabs reload has been a general problem in iOS - just search on memory management in this forum alone.

Reactions: secretk

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
Might be a combo of both though I think Chrome has to use the same fundamental engine as Safari on iOS. Memory use by Chrome has always been an issue on Windows but it appears to have improved relatively recently. And apps and tabs reload has been a general problem in iOS - just search on memory management in this forum alone.
I think that you are right on this one. I think that no matter the browser if its is in iOS it must rely on WebKit. At least this is my assumption.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Memory use by Chrome has always been an issue on Windows
Google and Windows (and Microsoft in general) do not go well together, that's for sure.
Does it need to be forced? I don't use Chrome on iOS devices because I read that RAM management with Chrome on an iPad/iPhone is worse compared to Safari. This is why I am asking :).
I don't understand why they'd perform differently. Internally, they're basically identical.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Google and Windows (and Microsoft in general) do not go well together, that's for sure.

I don't understand why they'd perform differently. Internally, they're basically identical.
There seems to have been performance improvements with Chrome on Win10 - I use it on multiple devices and memory utilization is better. I prefer it over all other Windows options.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Off the top of my head - Chrome, MS Edge. Firefox, Opera, Maxthon, Avant, Tor.
Opera GX has a RAM limiter and a CPU limiter. It also has a built-in ad blocker and tracker blocker that you can enable. :)

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Opera GX has a RAM limiter and a CPU limiter. It also has a built-in ad blocker and tracker blocker that you can enable. :)

Interesting. I gave it a try and can't say I like the interface. It is still in beta.

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
There seems to have been performance improvements with Chrome on Win10 - I use it on multiple devices and memory utilization is better. I prefer it over all other Windows options.
I typically prefer chrome since I'm invested in the ecosystem somewhat but find that Edge Chromium works best for me in terms of performance and memory management. Probably due to extension differences between myself and others I guess. Comparing Chrome to Edge Chromium with the same extensions that I normally use on both I see that Chrome uses more RAM than Edge does. Not sure why. I haven't done much performance testing though - not sure how - but Edge seems to be responsive to me, from a seat of the pants kind of perspective.

This all on Windows 10 that is . .

On my iPad I'm on Safari.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
I typically prefer chrome since I'm invested in the ecosystem somewhat but find that Edge Chromium works best for me in terms of performance and memory management. Probably due to extension differences between myself and others I guess. Comparing Chrome to Edge Chromium with the same extensions that I normally use on both I see that Chrome uses more RAM than Edge does. Not sure why. I haven't done much performance testing though - not sure how - but Edge seems to be responsive to me, from a seat of the pants kind of perspective.

This all on Windows 10 that is . .

On my iPad I'm on Safari.
Built-in operating system browsers (Safari in Apple products, Edge in Microsoft products, etc) tend to be much more optimized.
I gave it a try and can't say I like the interface.
I believe you can change the interface.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Built-in operating system browsers (Safari in Apple products, Edge in Microsoft products, etc) tend to be much more optimized.

I believe you can change the interface.
I played with it and did change up the interface. Ended up uninstalling it as it doesn't bring any advantages over using Chrome.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Ended up uninstalling it as it doesn't bring any advantages over using Chrome.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA

Like I said, for me it doesn't bring any advantages in that I'm not having any issues with Chrome performance on Windows and many free ad blocker extensions are available. I have no need to change.

Reactions: muzzy996

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
They're not built-in though.

Doesn't matter to me. They still work great - functionally, they're the same as built-in - and there's a good selection from the extension/add-on library in Chrome. Opera GX looks like a good option for those who want to game and browse simultaneously, which is not my use case.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Doesn't matter to me. They still work great - functionally, they're the same as built-in - and there's a good selection from the extension/add-on library in Chrome. Opera GX looks like a good option for those who want to game and browse simultaneously, which is not my use case.
Oh, I always thought that extensions took up more system resources compared to built-in solutions.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
If they do, it's negligible and not noticeable and wouldn't be a driver for change for me. Ad block extensions like uBlock are pretty lightweight.
Why do these extensions want so much data though?
1617241871937.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.