Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

petvas

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
Today I got my Smart Folio keyboard for my iPad 12.9 (2018) and I wanted to post my first impressions, especially compared to my MacBook Pro, which I use daily for work and leisure.

I like the feeling of the smart folio keyboard, but I prefer the butterfly mechanism of the MacBook Pro. Of course everything needs time, so I will give the keyboard enough time, and I will see if I can adjust to it..
The thing that definitely bothers me though are the limited angles at which the iPad sits inside the smart folio case. Especially the first angle is not usable at all, while the second one is ok, but when I put the iPad on my lap, the second angle is still not as good as when I am using the MacBook Pro, whose display angle can be adjusted as I want to. I can see using the iPad with the smart folio on desks, but not on my lap, at least not for an extended period of time. I want to use the iPad as my only computer when I commute and I don't really require the power and versatility of my MacBook, which is still my preferred device when I want to do serious work or do complex stuff, that the iPad has difficulties with.
Anyway, I will keep using my Smart Folio and see how it works for me.

Harytran26985

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2019
England
I totally agree with u about smart folio which can be adjust to angel as we want. Besides i see my folio is quite thick and difficult to hold to use without using keyboard

petvas

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
There is this keyboard from Brydge which looks very promising: https://www.brydge.eu/pages/2018-ipad-pro-keyboard
I would buy it, but sind I have a MacBook Pro, I don't see the point of making my iPad a copy of my main computer. My Macbook is not going anywhere anytime soon, and I am not looking at replacing it with my iPad.
Using the iPad on my lap is definitely not an option with the Smart Folio keyboard. Using it on the desk is an option, but for my usage profile this is something I don't really need..

Last edited:
Reactions: Harytran26985
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.