Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sasha.danielle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2015
Hi all,

Is anyone having trouble with their smart keyboard in Microsoft office?

I found I was getting keyboard lag in Microsoft Word when using track changes. Unfortunately because I bought the machine nearly two weeks before I didn't have much time to play around with the machine before losing my return window. So I returned both the machine and the keyboard. I was able to determine that track changes worked fine without lag when just typing on the screen. So I do know the problem was with the keyboard; I just don't know how much it affected only word or other apps too. I realised after I'd returned it that I also have updated to iOS 11.

Has anybody had this problem with lag?

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I have not experienced any lag. You might want to try putting your iPad in airplane mode and trying again. I've found that MS Office for iPad wants to sync every keystroke or pen stroke up to the cloud. I've gotten into the habit of turning on airplane mode when I go into a meeting and will be using OneNote to take notes. Then turn it off when the meeting is done and let it sync then.

sasha.danielle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2015
I have not experienced any lag. You might want to try putting your iPad in airplane mode and trying again. I've found that MS Office for iPad wants to sync every keystroke or pen stroke up to the cloud. I've gotten into the habit of turning on airplane mode when I go into a meeting and will be using OneNote to take notes. Then turn it off when the meeting is done and let it sync then.

Do you use track changes?

I wonder too if part of the problem is I'm using a Dropbox document so then maybe it's syncing track changes to an outside app.

Last edited:

james.h

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2018
Today, I went to Apple Store to demo the 2017 iPad Pro 12.9" with Smart Keyboard. I was unpleasantly surprised by the lag with Word app. I am hoping to mostly replace my MacBook Pro for writing papers on the go. I have an inexpensive Bluetooth keyboard for my iPad Air and the lag was at least as bad. I hope suggestions re: airport setting and/or turning off tracking will help. It's a significant investment to settle for such lagging.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.