Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
I can't count how many times I drove somewhere to take long distance landscape shots only to get there and realize I can't even get a good shot because of how hazy and smoggy it is (around Los Angeles mostly).

It would be great if I knew beforehand how the air quality was before going out and wasting gas.

Do you guys use any services or anything to keep track of the air or view distance (is that what its called?).

LittleCanonKid

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
I know what you mean, some Griffith trips have been an absolute failure because of the air quality. Where I live, there are some mountains 10-20 miles away that give a good gauge of the air quality. If I can see them WELL, I'll consider going. For the most part, during the spring/summer the air quality in SoCal is crap. Crisp winter days are probably your best bet.

I found this map for air quality, although I'm not sure how directly you can correlate air quality to smog amounts. It should be better than nothing, though.

Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
Yea I look at the mountains too to gauge the air quality but it would be nice if there was some way to find out a little in advance.

I think winter days after a good rain are the best, and after a very windy spring/winter day.

Luckily when I went to Griffith it was really nice, but so far 3 trips I took to Kenneth Hahn park have been ruined by the smog.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.