Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
I decided that since hot spots were working so well now that I could go back to a WiFi only iPad, and purchased the new 12" Pro WiFi model. Sometimes I get SMS from non-iOS contacts, and sometimes I don't. And I can never send them, even though I can on my Mac, and used to be able to two iPads back.

It's so inconsistent it's driving me nuts, and that's a very short ride.

Any suggestions?

JBaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2015
I don’t, but now you’ve got me worried. I was thinking of going WiFi only now too. This would be the first time for me. WiFi is now common where I live and the out of town places I go. And now that I’m on T-Mobile I can always tether. I haven’t bought my iPad yet. This reminds me of a similar problem I had on my iMac for years. I couldn’t make or answer calls. Then when I upgraded to Mojave it suddenly worked again. I hope it doesn’t take years for you. not getting SMS would be so much more annoying than not getting calls.

I’m hoping my mini holds out a little longer because my favorite case hasn’t been released yet. What storage size did you get? I’m thinking about 256GB. 64GB is too small for me even with me not storing all my stuff on it. But I play too many huge games. I’m also thinking of the 256GB because of the cost.

Reactions: AlliFlowers

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
I decided that since hot spots were working so well now that I could go back to a WiFi only iPad, and purchased the new 12" Pro WiFi model. Sometimes I get SMS from non-iOS contacts, and sometimes I don't. And I can never send them, even though I can on my Mac, and used to be able to two iPads back.

It's so inconsistent it's driving me nuts, and that's a very short ride.

Any suggestions?

2 questions: do you have an iPhone? Are you on AT&T or Verizon? If the answer to both are yes then you can use your phone account to send iMessages. These services are called NumberSync (AT&T) and NumberShare (Verizon). This is not sending the messages via your phone. It’s just like sharing your phone number (voice and text) with other devices for messaging purposes, including sending to non-Apple users.

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
I don’t, but now you’ve got me worried. I was thinking of going WiFi only now too. This would be the first time for me. WiFi is now common where I live and the out of town places I go. And now that I’m on T-Mobile I can always tether. I haven’t bought my iPad yet. This reminds me of a similar problem I had on my iMac for years. I couldn’t make or answer calls. Then when I upgraded to Mojave it suddenly worked again. I hope it doesn’t take years for you. not getting SMS would be so much more annoying than not getting calls.

I’m hoping my mini holds out a little longer because my favorite case hasn’t been released yet. What storage size did you get? I’m thinking about 256GB. 64GB is too small for me even with me not storing all my stuff on it. But I play too many huge games. I’m also thinking of the 256GB because of the cost.

Hey girl! Happy New year! I figured you got yours already. I remember you salivating over the thought of a new iPad.

I got the 64. I just don't need the space.

2 questions: do you have an iPhone? Are you on AT&T or Verizon? If the answer to both are yes then you can use your phone account to send iMessages. These services are called NumberSync (AT&T) and NumberShare (Verizon). This is not sending the messages via your phone. It’s just like sharing your phone number (voice and text) with other devices for messaging purposes, including sending to non-Apple users.

Yes.. But. I'm not having a problem with iMessage. I'm using number sync, but still having problems. ATT for everything.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
Hmm...have you tried logging out of iMessage on all devices and logging back in and set up text message forwarding again? I was having an issue and basically just reregistered everything to iCloud and it's all fine now and SMS syncs ok again. Also check to make sure Settings > iCloud Profile > iCloud > Apps Using iCloud > Messages is ON for all devices.

JBaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2015
Hey girl! Happy New year! I figured you got yours already. I remember you salivating over the thought of a new iPad.

I got the 64. I just don't need the space.
Same to you! I just remembered we can offload apps. I’m getting the 64! My iPad has been offloading apps on its own! Yay!!! This will also motivate me to clean out my iPad. I’m bad about doing it. But it’s a new year so I’m gonna do it!!! Totally off topic, but I got myself a HomePod for Christmas because it was $199. I couldn’t pass it up. I had no intention of ever buying one. But I absolutely love it!

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
Hmm...have you tried logging out of iMessage on all devices and logging back in and set up text message forwarding again? I was having an issue and basically just reregistered everything to iCloud and it's all fine now and SMS syncs ok again. Also check to make sure Settings > iCloud Profile > iCloud > Apps Using iCloud > Messages is ON for all devices.

Just did all of that. When I went back through the settings, my iPad was not enabled for call forwarding. Fingers crossed.

Same to you! I just remembered we can offload apps. I’m getting the 64! My iPad has been offloading apps on its own! Yay!!! This will also motivate me to clean out my iPad. I’m bad about doing it. But it’s a new year so I’m gonna do it!!! Totally off topic, but I got myself a HomePod for Christmas because it was $199. I couldn’t pass it up. I had no intention of ever buying one. But I absolutely love it!

Treat yourself! You only live once, right?!

Reactions: 0970373

JBaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2015
Treat yourself! You only live once, right?!

That’s what my mom said! After I submitted my order I was started to second guess myself. I rarely ever splurge. I always like to plan out big purchases. But I have no regrets! It’s totally worth it!!! I got it in Space Gray. I bought a coaster for it too. I was concerned about the ring problem. I don’t know if that’s really a problem, but since I knew my HomePod would be sitting on wood I didn’t want to take any chances. It looks really good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.