Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
I just noticed that on every single picture I've ever taken with my Sony DSLR there is a smudge on the top right (top left in portrait) corner of the image. I have tried running the camera's cleaning mode, I also tried every lens cleaning tutorial out there and nothing has worked. I dont see any scratches and I don't know how it could have scratched I've only taken the lens of the camera to try and clean it.

Anyway, I'm out of ideas, but I wanted to see what anybody here might know before I call up Sony.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
If they look like this, it's sensor dust. I just had mine cleaned after finding these. I over processed the image to bring them out for you.

Dale

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-03-31 at 9.35.32 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-03-31 at 9.35.32 PM.png
    346.5 KB · Views: 117

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
I just noticed that on every single picture I've ever taken with my Sony DSLR there is a smudge on the top right (top left in portrait) corner of the image. I have tried running the camera's cleaning mode, I also tried every lens cleaning tutorial out there and nothing has worked. I dont see any scratches and I don't know how it could have scratched I've only taken the lens of the camera to try and clean it.

Anyway, I'm out of ideas, but I wanted to see what anybody here might know before I call up Sony.

It would help if you posted a picture so we can see it. The first thing I would do is borrow a lens and shoot a couple of frames. That will tell you whether it's the lens or body.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
They look like the smudges in Designer Dale's photo. Do I need to have it professionally cleaned or is it something I can do myself?

Abraxsis

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2003
Kentucky
They look like the smudges in Designer Dale's photo. Do I need to have it professionally cleaned or is it something I can do myself?

You CAN do it yourself ... however, simply asking the above question means you should take it and have it professionally cleaned. A sensor isn't something to mess around without some experience and know how. The sensor filter isn't as delicate as some believe, but it still isn't something to be messing with significantly.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
Why not post an example.

It's kind of hard to see so I played around with it in Photoshop to bring it out a bit.
20100401-8c57k315gwanfcpi3spu1ih98f.jpg

You CAN do it yourself ... however, simply asking the above question means you should take it and have it professionally cleaned. A sensor isn't something to mess around without some experience and know how. The sensor filter isn't as delicate as some believe, but it still isn't something to be messing with significantly.

Is it expensive?

I'm pretty good with delicate work, I just need to know what to do and what not to do so I don't end up doing any more damage.

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
Doesn't look too hard. I'll give it a try and see how it goes.

It's not difficult at all. You just need to use the proper tools and have a dust-and lint-free area to work. There are several different methods, so check to see which one your manufacturer recommends. I just cleaned my Nikon a few weeks ago with Pec Pads and Eclipse II solution. The first time I didn't press quite hard enough (it doesn't take much force, but I was being too gentle) and didn't get two of the biggest offenders off the sensor filter. I went back again with a clean and pad and now it looks good as new.

Unless you are absolutely squeamish about the idea of working inside of your camera, I say do it yourself for the savings. It's a pretty simple procedure, really.

Also, you should get yourself a good rocket blower while you are buying supplies. It's a good idea to get as much of the free dust as possible out of the area before you swipe the sensor filter.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
also, when you are done, shoot at a very small aperture (f/22) and shoot the sky (if it is blue) or something else very bright. That is a good way to see if you have any artifacts on your sensor.

Sensor dust will happen. I have cleaned mine before with positive results.
Since i had my XSi (had the sensor cleaning, as does my 40D), i had no problems with sensor dust.

I am wondering if sensor cleaning is going to be more rare, now that many cameras (if not all) have this feature. Works pretty good in my experience.

Abraxsis

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2003
Kentucky
I am wondering if sensor cleaning is going to be more rare, now that many cameras (if not all) have this feature. Works pretty good in my experience.

Nah, especially right now. It is Springtime where I am and sticky pollen will only come off with wet solutions.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island

My camera has an autoclean function and that was one of the first things I tried, but it did nothing. Maybe its just not as reliable on Sony cameras though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.