Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

purdnost

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
How do you like the service? I’m considering signing up to free up storage on my phone, have a reliable backup, and share with family. My only hesitation is that it converts HEIF to JPEG. I wish I could preserve the original file type. ?

Reactions: AlaskaMoose

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
How do you like the service? I’m considering signing up to free up storage on my phone, have a reliable backup, and share with family. My only hesitation is that it converts HEIF to JPEG. I wish I could preserve the original file type. ?
What I would do if I were you is to contact SmugMug and tell the concerns you have about file conversions. However, since SmugMug stores RAW images regardless of kind, I believe that HEIF images aren't converted to any other formats unless that is what you want them to do.

Maybe this can be of help to you (?)

As for me, SmugMug is a great place to store any of your photos. I store "web ready" JPEG photos to post on this and other forums at SmugMug, but a lot of people store their RAW, TIFF, and JPEG images as well. Their customer service is quite good, so I am very happy since they promptly respond via email to any questions I may ask of them.

Last edited:

purdnost

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
What I would do if I were you is to contact SmugMug and tell the concerns you have about file conversions. However, since SmugMug stores RAW images regardless of kind, I believe that HEIF images aren't converted to any other formats unless that is what you want them to do.

Maybe this can be of help to you (?)

As for me, SmugMug is a great place to store any of your photos. I store "web ready" JPEG photos to post on this and other forums at SmugMug, but a lot of people store their RAW, TIFF, and JPEG images as well. Their customer service is quite good, so I am very happy since they promptly respond via email to any questions I may ask of them.
Thank you. I have actually already reached out to SmugMug and there is currently no way to store HEIF photos without them being converted. I let them know that I would like the option to disable/enable such conversions, so we’ll see if they ever offer that level of customization someday.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.