Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jayderek

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2010
Madison, WI
no thread? No Nintendo or video game fans in general??

I'd be interested, but then again it sounds like this will be difficult to get (just like the Classic NES was) and Nintendo hasn't learned their lesson about making more of these things.

If I randomly see one in a store I happen to be in, I'll pick one up. I'm not going through the online gymnastics it took me to locate the Classic NES earlier this year though.

Billburns

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2017
Usa
They made a lot of them, most retailers will have stock on release day and more than just a few like the NES

Reactions: Jayderek

scottcampbell

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2017
SNES Classic Edition launches on September 29th for $80, and includes 2 controllers and 21 games.

What's your plan for launch?

I didn't get a preorder, so I'm going to wait in line at WalMart at 8:00pm (with my Switch of course).
If I strike out there, I will head to Best Buy around 6:00am the next morning, hopefully get a ticket to purchase at 7:00am, and return to the store when they open.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Not gonna get one - I still have mine that I originally got back at its launch. I had just got back into videogaming.

Though with the reviews online, people started playing Super Mario World and the music did bring a smile to my face.

Gonna have to hook mine back up and start playing again...

Last edited:

scottcampbell

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2017
Not gonna get one - I still have mine that I originally got back at its launch. I had just got back into videogaming.

Though with the reviews onlinem people started playing Supar Mario World and the music did bring a smile to my face.

Gonna have to hook mine back up and start playing again...
That's really fortunate you still own yours.
I never had an SNES, though I'm entrenched in Nintendo fandom today. It's my one blind-spot in their console history, so I can't wait to take this new version home and play many of the games for the first time. (I've only gotten VC downloads of the main 3: Mario, Zelda, and Metroid.)

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
According to Reddit and the links some people are using to check store inventory (not sure how accurate they are) there should be quite a few in stock. I'll probably just run over to Walmart that morning. If not there's a GameStop in the parking lot. If neither have it then I'll just hit up Target that night, it's farther away. I'm buying it 95% for Mario Kart, 5% for Street Fighter II, and couldn't really care less about the rest of the games. Though my kids will enjoy Super Mario World, Donkey Kong Country, and maybe a couple of others. My son is saving for a Switch and Mario Kart, he's about a month away from having enough, so this will tide us over until then.

Billburns

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2017
Usa
It’s not select number of games ;)

They can EASILY be modded just by hooking up to a PC and load every game every made on it

Reactions: Jayderek

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Well! My SNES Mini is 200 miles away at another store! I won't get it till next week now. Oh well! I still hacked my NES Mini and even made a folder full of all the announced SNES games, as well as owning Nintendo's replica SNES controller that was given away for reward points and some 8BitDo ones... so yknow... it's effectively one but without the rewind function! (That I plan on using a lot of!)

Really hope they do a N64 Mini next. The SNES was and still is my fave system they've ever made alongside the GBA, but I think the Switch is going to usurp that because of its awesomeness - just need a virtual console now.

scottcampbell

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2017
I lined up at WalMart 3 hours before the midnight launch and barely got one of the 35 consoles. This thing is popular!

mandoman

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
My SNESc Best Buy pre-order just delivered. :)
Only thing is I'm going out of town and won't get a chance to play it for a week :(

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
I live in a town of about 15,000 people, so not too big. Went to our 24 hour Walmart this morning expecting to pick one up - they told me they had 23 in stock and sold out at 12:17am (after going on sale at 12am). They had two people who were camped out in electronics since 1pm. Headed over to GameStop about a half hour before they opened. Was 5th in line and had 3 more behind me by the time the store opened. Seemed like everyone was going to get one.

Will probably spend most of my time playing Mario Kart, that's really why I bought it, but I think my kids will enjoy some of the other games. The "console" is smaller than I expected it to be, pretty cool.

Almost seems like there was more demand for this than the iPhone 8. :p

Billburns

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2017
Usa
I knew once I received it I wouldn’t care too much for it. Played It a little, mainly wanted it just to have it.

It def needs a bigger selection of games

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.