Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Draddy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 16, 2007
Anyone here love SNL's host photography as much as I do?

Seth_Rogen_7.jpg

Seth_Rogen_1.jpg

I want to rip it off and create a series of self portraits...

But I want to set myself up for success, I have a D80 and what I think is an amazing portrait lens, a 60mm f/2.8 ...

but what else goes on? What kind of light source do I need?
What kind of post processing do you think is done besides colorizing? Sharpening?

What kind of program can I use to get that amazing barely HDR look? (rather than the extreme photomatrix HDR everyone on here seems to be using.)

Thanks a bunch!

alecmcmahon

macrumors regular
May 18, 2007
Woodbridge, NJ
im not to great at reverse enginnering, but it looks like it would be 2 large softboxes on both sides, or other lighting. And most likely a ring flash.

With some photoshoop
:rolleyes::confused::rolleyes:

ipodtoucher

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2007
Cedar Park, TX

Seth_Rogen_7.jpg

Seth_Rogen_1.jpg

But I want to set myself up for success, I have a D80 and what I think is an amazing portrait lens, a 60mm f/2.8 ...

What kind of post processing do you think is done besides colorizing? Sharpening?

What kind of program can I use to get that amazing barely HDR look? (rather than the extreme photomatrix HDR everyone on here seems to be using.)

Thanks a bunch!

I agree!! I love their pictures! I think it would be hard to do this as a self portrait...try getting your best friend to help you out! They probably use multiple lights, and a super white background. Now with Photomatix you can adjust the settings to create a less harsh picture...and then add a bunch of saturation and contrast...thats what i think...lol

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA

Seth_Rogen_7.jpg

Seth_Rogen_1.jpg

Thanks a bunch!

It's difficult to tell with such small examples, but there's at least a light source from each side, you could probably do that with a diffusion panel or strip box on each side, you'll need one or two background lights to blow the background like that- if you can get a larger picture with the eyes in good you can see if you'll need something up front too- it looks like it- the side lights don't seem to be as hot up front, and the shadow under the chin says there's a high light out front, slightly to camera left.

I'd probably try a softbox or stripbox on each side, a brolly for fill up front and either a background light right behind or one on each side with a white seamless or muslin backdrop.

It's _possible_ that there are just really large light sources on each side with the left turned up a bit higher I suppose, and with stage lighting you can do a lot of stuff because you have a lot of lights, but that's how I'd start out.

Draddy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 16, 2007
you guys are awesome! Thank you very much!

I couldn't find anything bigger anywhere... but all I know is that on my HDTV, those photos are absolutely incredible.

EDIT: So I found out the photographers name is Mary Ellen Matthews, and doing google searches has come up with a few more results, such as

http://www.natalieportman.com/gallery/mags_2006-snl

Draddy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 16, 2007
Simply amazing! But i guarantee that they use something like a Hasselblad to get such sharp crisp quality...haha good luck buying a $25,000 camera hahaha

yeah... most likely. (I always thought the blads were more than 25?) but it would be fun to try to achieve, even if I can't technically get near it, I would like to do the best I can. (maybe not as a self portrait, but just as a portrait in general.)

ipodtoucher

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2007
Cedar Park, TX
yeah... most likely. (I always thought the blads were more than 25?) but it would be fun to try to achieve, even if I can't technically get near it, I would like to do the best I can. (maybe not as a self portrait, but just as a portrait in general.)

Haha i think the body alone is 25K for the lower end models, maybe? haha anywayz...i would try what these guys said...two soft boxes on left and right and so on...give it a try and show us your progress!

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.