Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

soLoredd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 12, 2007
California
Ok, so I did some searching on the net after I was encountering this issue: whenever I export to .jpg from Aperture, I get a 72dpi file. No matter how I set my settings for export its the same. I found some other people having the same issue and this has reportedly been going on for at least a year's time now. The only "fix" is to strip the photo of meta data and then do an export - and that will allow a 300dpi export.

Any of you guys having this problem as well? Apparently, Apple still has not fixed this problem. I can open up the same RAW file in LR and export with 300dpi with all meta data intact.

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
I just took a look at mine. I downloaded a full .jpg that I had uploaded to Zenfolio using Aperture and it was at 300 dpi. Whenever I export at full size .jpg they are at 300 dpi. I've never messed with the metadata. If I export at 50% .jpg then they are at 72 dpi. I don't seem to be having the problem you are. Here are a few screen shots. The first is a pic exported at full size to .jpg (I opened it in Photoshop to get the info) and another of my aperture settings. Hope it helps?

Attachments

• dpi.jpg
    dpi.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 107
  • dpi2.jpg
    dpi2.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 108

soLoredd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 12, 2007
California
Thanks for the reply, JDDavis. I'll take a look again at my settings when I get home. Could be that my settings aren't in fact correct. :eek:

soLoredd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 12, 2007
California
Well, indeed, my settings were not correct. All of my export settings were at 72 dpi, so I changed the JPEG - Original to 300 dpi and all is well.

Thanks again.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
there are few things more meaningless than dpi on a digital image.

your only concern for printing is the number of pixels. dpi will take care of itself - if you have a 1000x1500px image printed to 4x6", you get 250dpi. take the same file and print an 8x12, and you get 125dpi.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.