Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zirel

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 24, 2015
Despite what some armchair analysts predicted, Apple didn't announce an Alexa/Google Home competitor.

Apple instead focused in launching SiriKit, which expands what Siri can do to existing devices. Alexa can expand, but Google Now can't, like Cortana which also doesn't offer this.

The most obvious usage for these kind of devices, is for home automation, Apple holds the crown with most devices and most diversified line on the market for their HomeKit platform, and more coming according to this year CES, second comes Samsung which has security problems, and also seems like only Samsung is developing for it, while Microsoft doesn't have anything on this, and Google's Project Weave (strikingly similar to HomeKit, even the process and the protocols, that launched in 2015) and Android Brillo produced zero devices on the market. Amazon doesn't have a uniform platform for this, but their Alexa can expand to accommodate devices.

Apple instead tells us "use our existing devices" with now the 4 platforms now supporting Siri, some newer devices with hot word detection, and a first party application for iPhone, iPod touch, iPad and Apple Watch.

Despite ludicrous statements and pushes from the press, nobody is buying Alexa, and despite The Verge and everyone else trying VERY HARD to undermine the success of the Apple Watch, is that the "flop" dwarves completely the novel Amazon speaker.

In my opinion, Google's product is going to the way of the Nexus Q, specially when it launches, and Android people realize it costs money for the same function they have on their watches.

I predict that Apple won't release anything similar and the thing that one day could have been a product category will die once and for all, as Jeff Bezos searches for anything new and unproven to show to Wall Street, that is, if the Startup bubble won't burst before.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Despite ludicrous statements and pushes from the press, nobody is buying Alexa
Really, no one is buying it?

Your statement seems to be the polar opposite of what's occurring. Do you have any source material to confirm that Alexa is a failure? From what I've seen, first hand, and reading various articles, Alexa is a surprise hit

She has a name': Amazon's Alexa is a sleeper hit, with serious superfans
Among the more than 35,000 reviews on Amazon, the general consensus is that unlike Apple’s Siri, whose error rate can be frustrating, the Echo responds as soon as it hears the word Alexa and it rarely mishears commands. Meanwhile, developers see a new gold rush as they start building apps (called “skills”) for the Echo even before Amazon has opened a proper app store.

Amazon Echo turns into a sleeper hit, offsetting Fire's failure
The Amazon Echo is turning out to be a sleeper hit.

Echo/Alexa device lineup now outselling Kindles for Amazon
Amazon has never announced unit sales, beyond vague statements such as “Echo … is off to an incredible start, and we can’t yet manage to keep it in stock despite all efforts.” However, a report from Slice Intelligence indicates that the Echo device family is now outselling Kindles.

Amazon Echo review: A perfect 10

I think the success of the Echo caught everyone off guard, including Google who's now scrambling to roll out their own home assistant.

I think Apple is working on one as well which will be Siri based (obviously). We didn't see it at WWDC, because the last few years Apple has dedicated WWDC to be software only. Plus I think the success of the Echo surprised Apple as well, who was in perfect position to provide such a device, but failed (for what ever reason), now they're playing catch up.

Reactions: Weaselboy

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Despite what some armchair analysts predicted, Apple didn't announce an Alexa/Google Home competitor.

Apple instead focused in launching SiriKit, which expands what Siri can do to existing devices. Alexa can expand, but Google Now can't, like Cortana which also doesn't offer this.

The most obvious usage for these kind of devices, is for home automation, Apple holds the crown with most devices and most diversified line on the market for their HomeKit platform, and more coming according to this year CES, second comes Samsung which has security problems, and also seems like only Samsung is developing for it, while Microsoft doesn't have anything on this, and Google's Project Weave (strikingly similar to HomeKit, even the process and the protocols, that launched in 2015) and Android Brillo produced zero devices on the market. Amazon doesn't have a uniform platform for this, but their Alexa can expand to accommodate devices.

Apple instead tells us "use our existing devices" with now the 4 platforms now supporting Siri, some newer devices with hot word detection, and a first party application for iPhone, iPod touch, iPad and Apple Watch.

Despite ludicrous statements and pushes from the press, nobody is buying Alexa, and despite The Verge and everyone else trying VERY HARD to undermine the success of the Apple Watch, is that the "flop" dwarves completely the novel Amazon speaker.

In my opinion, Google's product is going to the way of the Nexus Q, specially when it launches, and Android people realize it costs money for the same function they have on their watches.

I predict that Apple won't release anything similar and the thing that one day could have been a product category will die once and for all, as Jeff Bezos searches for anything new and unproven to show to Wall Street, that is, if the Startup bubble won't burst before.

Well my arguments is as always "you can talk to anything else Apple" Maybie there is really no point in a competitor, when everyone would have iPhone's and be useful for Siri anyway. Plus, there small devices u can take *with you*

You can either probably, have an Alexa competitor in the home in every room for those times u need voice access which would be over and above the cost of getting a iphone, which can be used for calling.

I guess people wanna talk on the phone and use siri at the same time is the main reason for one. I don't see much use in that.

Last edited:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Because we have iPhones and iPads that can do what the Echo does. Why do I need another device for this?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Because we have iPhones and iPads that can do what the Echo does. Why do I need another device for this?
I have an iPhone and iPad and an Amazon Echo, and you are right, you don't "need" the Echo... but I like it a lot and use it constantly. It just a nice and easy way to access some of the same things you would on your iPhone, without having to pull the phone out of your pocket or go find your phone and activate Siri. Or for the times your hands are full (like cooking) and want a quick timer. That sort of thing. I also use my Echo quite a bit to stream music.

Zirel

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 24, 2015
Really, no one is buying it?

Your statement seems to be the polar opposite of what's occurring. Do you have any source material to confirm that Alexa is a failure? From what I've seen, first hand, and reading various articles, Alexa is a surprise hit

No, nobody is buying that useless junk.

Those are examples of Amazon's PR ventriloquism. Amazon has sold 2-4 million of them in 2 years! Apple Watch in the other hand, most studies show they have sold more than 10 million in the first year.

Those prost... pressti... press members are also saying that the Apple Watch is a flop.

Either they are wrong or they are right. And they are mathematically wrong.

lus I think the success of the Echo surprised Apple as well, who was in perfect position to provide such a device, but failed (for what ever reason), now they're playing catch up.

Failed?

If Apple launched a product that sells only less than 10 million a year, that would be a failure!

It just a nice and easy way to access some of the same things you would on your iPhone, without having to pull the phone out of your pocket or go find your phone and activate Siri. Or for the times your hands are full (like cooking) and want a quick timer. That sort of thing. I also use my Echo quite a bit to stream music.

That's where the Apple Watch enters, hence my comparison.

For streaming music, the Apple Watch can also do through your iPhone speaker, or a bluetooth device.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
That's where the Apple Watch enters, hence my comparison.

For streaming music, the Apple Watch can also do through your iPhone speaker, or a bluetooth device.

I honestly can't tell if you are serious. So you are really suggesting I should buy a $299 Apple Watch to perform the functions my Amazon Echo does?

Stream music to an iPhone speaker? Really? Have you ever heard music over an iPhone speaker? For the price of a nice Bluetooth speaker, you can buy an Amazon Echo that can be used as a BT speaker, it that is what you are after.

No, nobody is buying that useless junk.

Myself and many others really enjoy their Amazon Echo. If you don't see the use case, I get that. But your comments really seem needlessly hyperbolic. When you say things like this, it makes me inclined to dismiss anything else you say.

Zirel

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 24, 2015
I honestly can't tell if you are serious. So you are really suggesting I should buy a $299 Apple Watch to perform the functions my Amazon Echo does?

Are you really suggesting that I should buy a $179 Amazon Echo to do what my Apple Watch does, but only on my home, but doesn't tell me time, doesn't sit on my wrist, doesn't make calls, can't track my exercise, etc. etc. etc.?

The Apple Watch is much more than Siri on the wrist!

Stream music to an iPhone speaker? Really? Have you ever heard music over an iPhone speaker? For the price of a nice Bluetooth speaker, you can buy an Amazon Echo that can be used as a BT speaker, it that is what you are after.

For $20 you can get a nice bluetooth speaker.

Myself and many others really enjoy their Amazon Echo. If you don't see the use case, I get that. But your comments really seem needlessly hyperbolic. When you say things like this, it makes me inclined to dismiss anything else you say.

Dozes of users...

Look, I allow you to enjoy your devices, but it's a niche, a ridiculously overhyped niche device.

Zirel

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 24, 2015
Now you are just trolling. I'm out.

No, I'm not. That's my point.

Amazon Echo makes sense... for a vocal minority. Most people (reading the relevant subreddit) they are more interested in a central hub for home automation, and Apple kills it ATM with HomeKit gaining momentum.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Dozes of users...
I backed up my statement, citing material, as per the rules, please back up your statement of fact that there are only dozens of users of the Echo.

Rules for Appropriate debate
Sources. If you claim that something's a fact, back it up with a source. If you can't produce evidence when someone asks you to cite your sources, we may remove your posts. If you started

Zirel

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 24, 2015
I backed up my statement, citing material, as per the rules, please back up your statement of fact that there are only dozens of users of the Echo.

You know what I mean figuratively.

Zirel

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 24, 2015
Clearly you were trying to portray the Echo as a failure, but the evidence is on the side, where it is a success.

So convince me otherwise.

The only sales estimate out there, is from a single source, and one I personally never believed in their integrity.

They say that Amazon sold 3 million units from end 2014 to April 2016.

Comparing to the Apple Watch Christmas 2015 quarter:

screen-shot-2016-01-21-at-11-08-47-am.png

That's less than the worst estimate for the Apple Watch!

And that's only a quarter!

Sorry, but 3 million in a year, is not a success.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
The Apple Watch and Amazon Echo can't even be compared. They're two very different products that are both bought with different use cases in mind. The watch for health and notifications, the Echo for a voice assistant.

It is going to be hard for Amazon to compete in the long run because they don't have the integrations that Apple and Google do, but they are winning now with a product that works well for the people who bought it. You can't say the same with the Apple Watch, which now is at the third iteration of its SDK because of its shortcomings.

It is plausible that Apple is doing a Siri speaker with Beats audio, but people are already using Siri on iOS, the Apple Watch, and Apple TV, so of course they started there and are adding support to the Mac. If there wasn't a demand for the mobility of an assistant, then Amazon wouldn't have to bother with its additional dongles that let you use Alexa on the go.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Because it's *not* a phone as well.. Don't u want a deceive in the kitchen u can shout at?

People have already been bringing their tablets to the kitchen. Some people have their cookbooks on them, either ebooks or on apps, and some just use them for watching Netflix while cooking (It's what our cookbook holder is used for anyway! :oops:).

I remember the first thing someone tried when the Smart Cover was introduced - They stuck the iPad on the refrigerator.

boast

macrumors 65816
Nov 12, 2007
Phoenix, USA
I just recently finished setting up HomeBridge to allow Siri to control all my devices connected through SmartThings. But I still use the Amazon Echo because it has a better microphone and is better hands-free.

But I do not have any stock in Apple or Amazon (I don't think) so I do not worry if a product is a success or a "flop." If I like it and find use for it, I can only hope they keep selling it.

Did you go more DIY with a Raspberry Pi setup so you do not like the Echo for the cost? Or do you have a HomeKit setup and all your friends are integrated into it so when they come over and they control things too? I assume that can convoluted if they have their own HomeKit devices too.

Zirel

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 24, 2015
The Apple Watch and Amazon Echo can't even be compared. They're two very different products that are both bought with different use cases in mind. The watch for health and notifications, the Echo for a voice assistant.

Nobody is comparing the Echo with the Apple Watch.

The comparison is between the Apple Watch success and the Echo.

The Apple Watch is a successful product that the media LOVE to dismiss as a failure.

The Echo is a total failure that the media LOVE to portray as revolutionary.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Nobody is comparing the Echo with the Apple Watch.

The comparison is between the Apple Watch success and the Echo.

The Apple Watch is a successful product that the media LOVE to dismiss as a failure.

The Echo is a total failure that the media LOVE to portray as revolutionary.
So the actual issue is the media then and their differing criteria for success/failure?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.