Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac3687

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2006
I used to always shoot jpeg in my Digital Rebel XT, but now I'm getting into black and white, so I'm shooting in the RAW + Jpeg mode so I can shoot black and white but still have the colored pic if I want it. When I upload them into aperture though, they all show up in color, even though theyre black and white on my cameras screen. How can I make them upload the way they were shot?

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
All digital cameras shoot photos in colour, and so your RAW camera data will also be in colour. Doesn't matter what you choose to set it to.

You do know what RAW files are, right? I think the camera is doing exactly what it's supposed to do. You're supposed to turn them into black and white yourself.

jlcharles

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2006
Wenonah, NJ
If you're shooting in RAW, there's really no need to do it with a jpeg. Unless you are giving instant previews to people I guess. But, yeah, abstract is right, do the conversion yourself. Don't use the camera to do it. You'll have much more control over the finished product.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Hmm, well how do I do the conversion?

What software are you using to process the RAW files. Almost all of the converters offer a controllable B+W conversion.

In Aperture, for example, open the Adjustments HUD and add a Monochrome Mixer via the little gear menu in the top right of the HUD. Once you find a setting you like then you can lift and stamp it to all the images you want.

mac3687

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2006
Thank you. I do all of my work in Aperture, so that will be perfect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.