Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kalirob99

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 24, 2008
California
image.jpg

I only found this out via jb so would I be ok going in store or over the phone and addressing this for replacement? Or would just make them deny it and try to blame the jb? TIA

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
If you're worried about it you can download a battery health app on the App Store (I use Battery Doc). No need to be jailbroken.

And no, you showing them the screenshot above won't mean anything to an Apple employee in store. They will simply hook up the device to their own diagnostic program to read its health themselves.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
What the Apple site says..

"If you're covered under warranty or AppleCare+, we'll replace your battery at no charge if it retains less than 80 percent of its original capacity. Not sure if you’re covered? Check if you have AppleCare+ by entering your iPhone serial number."

Take it to an Apple store

kalirob99

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 24, 2008
California
If you're worried about it you can download a battery health app on the App Store (I use Battery Doc). No need to be jailbroken.

And no, you showing them the screenshot above won't mean anything to an Apple employee in store. They will simply hook up the device to their own diagnostic program to read its health themselves.
Alright I downloaded on from the AppStore. Will this be sufficient proof? Also any idea if they'll replace it through the mail or in store only? My closest stores 45 min away is all lol.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 350

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
Alright I downloaded on from the AppStore. Will this be sufficient proof? Also any idea if they'll replace it through the mail or in store only? My closest stores 45 min away is all lol.

You're asking for a guarantee when their isn't one.

If you're jailbroken and send it in for warranty service, there's always the possibility that the employee simply blames the problem on you being jailbroken.

As for your battery percentage, whether you go in store or mail it to apple, they will hook up your phone to diagnostic equipment and figure out the battery health themselves. You're screenshots won't mean anything to them. Even if you didn't even have your screenshots at all and simply said "My battery is no good" they would hook it up to their own equipment just the same.

kalirob99

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 24, 2008
California
You're asking for a guarantee when their isn't one.

If you're jailbroken and send it in for warranty service, there's always the possibility that the employee simply blames the problem on you being jailbroken.

As for your battery percentage, whether you go in store or mail it to apple, they will hook up your phone to diagnostic equipment and figure out the battery health themselves. You're screenshots won't mean anything to them.
It's more wondering if they'll think they have reason to replace it. I don't wanna drive 45 min for nothing lol.
But if I was going in, there's no way I wouldn't do a restore first. Give me some credit, I'm not crazy haha. So what do you suggest?

Last edited:

Cergman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2013
my tesla
You could restore the phone and call Apple to check the battery health. They would know for sure whether or not you'd get a replacement.

Cergman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2013
my tesla
I'll do this then. I'm just sad I have to drive that far lol.
Actually, I just remembered you said you had AppleCare+. Just call them and if they say it needs to be replaced, ask for an express replacement. They'll put a hold on your card and overnight you a replacement phone. As long as you ship your old one back with the included return label within 10 days, the credit card hold is removed and there is no charge.

Reactions: willmtaylor

kalirob99

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 24, 2008
California
Actually, I just remembered you said you had AppleCare+. Just call them and if they say it needs to be replaced, ask for an express replacement. They'll put a hold on your card and overnight you a replacement phone. As long as you ship your old one back with the included return label within 10 days, the credit card hold is removed and there is no charge.
I do and that sounds better. I won't mind the hold. Any idea how they'd be able to test it over the phone? Or will they test it once they get this phone in the mail?

Cergman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2013
my tesla
I do and that sounds better. I won't mind the hold. Any idea how they'd be able to test it over the phone? Or will they test it once they get this phone in the mail?
They can (and will) run a remote diagnostic to check the battery health. Once they get confirm its an issue, a new phone will be shipped out the next business day.

kalirob99

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 24, 2008
California
They can (and will) run a remote diagnostic to check the battery health. Once they get confirm its an issue, a new phone will be shipped out the next business day.
Cool I had no idea they could do that over the Internet. I'll call on Monday so wish me luck!

kalirob99

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 24, 2008
California
I'm confused. What is it that your think is bad?
The batteries health or charge capacity I guess.
[doublepost=1460768391][/doublepost]It's alright to restore before sending it back right? Lol I'm just not very trusting [read: paranoid]

Cergman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2013
my tesla
The batteries health or charge capacity I guess.
[doublepost=1460768391][/doublepost]It's alright to restore before sending it back right? Lol I'm just not very trusting [read: paranoid]
They want you to restore when you send it back so don't worry about it.

kalirob99

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 24, 2008
California
Blah now it's says 83% total. Is that still close enough for the replacement or will they likely nitpick?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Blah now it's says 83% total. Is that still close enough for the replacement or will they likely nitpick?
Just call Apple and have them run the diagnostic remotely. They will tell your right then and there. Your battery health will fluctuate 1000 times a day. Ive seen mine go as low as 90% and as high as 106% in a matter of hours. Thats entirely normal.

Reactions: ohio.emt

kalirob99

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 24, 2008
California
Just call Apple and have them run the diagnostic remotely. They will tell your right then and there. Your battery health will fluctuate 1000 times a day. Ive seen mine go as low as 90% and as high as 106% in a matter of hours. Thats entirely normal.
Alright. Take it I'll want to restore my phone before I let them run it remotely?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Alright. Take it I'll want to restore my phone before I let them run it remotely?
If you are still jailbroken. Then yes. Otherwise it doesn't matter. Because when you restore your phone. It removes all battery diagnostic logs. Which could be helpful in getting a new phone.

kalirob99

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 24, 2008
California
If you are still jailbroken. Then yes. Otherwise it doesn't matter. Because when you restore your phone. It removes all battery diagnostic logs. Which could be helpful in getting a new phone.
Gotcha, thanks. Maybe I'll get lucky and my battery will register even worse afterwards lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.