Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
I've heard a lot of good things about Gary Fong's diffusers, but I want to make sure I get a nice one that I can use for a variety of different shots. I'm completely new to using an external flash, so if anyone could guide me in the right direction, I'd be grateful.

(PS: I'm shooting a friend's wedding in November, so keep that in mind, but like I said, I want something I can use in other situations, too)

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Everyone will have an answer so I'll go with mine. Gary Fong's Lightsphere. Check it out.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
You might want to talk to the bride and find out if they want you using a flash at all. A lot of times people want the ceremony shot using only existing light because a flash is a big distraction - and a diffuser won't really change that.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I like my Gary Fong Lightsphere as well. Cloud colour for smaller areas and clear for bigger areas.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I've heard a lot of good things about Gary Fong's diffusers, but I want to make sure I get a nice one that I can use for a variety of different shots. I'm completely new to using an external flash, so if anyone could guide me in the right direction, I'd be grateful.

(PS: I'm shooting a friend's wedding in November, so keep that in mind, but like I said, I want something I can use in other situations, too)

If you search Google or DPR, you can find instructions for making a diffuser from craft foam that's more directional and significantly cheaper than the cloudy Tupperware-ish stuff everyone recommends. You have the advantage of being able to control the shape/size for different crowds and how much it "cups" for places where you can't bounce off the ceiling. Even if you spend a lot of time to get it looking good and buy lots of Velcro for doing different ones, you'd be hard-pressed to spend more than about $15.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
You might want to talk to the bride and find out if they want you using a flash at all. A lot of times people want the ceremony shot using only existing light because a flash is a big distraction - and a diffuser won't really change that.

Oh, I've talked extensively with her, she even did me the huge favor of making a checklist of the 'must have' shots she wants, but really came to me because she wants a more personal approach than commercial. But yeah, I wouldn't use the flash during the ceremony, just for maybe in the limo or at the reception, and other times before and after.

And thanks for the idea, compuwar.

M@lew

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I've got a Sto-fen Omnibounce for my Speedlight. It probably doesn't soften the light as much as the Lightsphere though, so the Lightsphere is probably better for wedding portraits.

glennp

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2006
Washington, DC
If you search Google or DPR, you can find instructions for making a diffuser from craft foam that's more directional and significantly cheaper than the cloudy Tupperware-ish stuff everyone recommends. You have the advantage of being able to control the shape/size for different crowds and how much it "cups" for places where you can't bounce off the ceiling. Even if you spend a lot of time to get it looking good and buy lots of Velcro for doing different ones, you'd be hard-pressed to spend more than about $15.

Peter Greggs' site will show you how to make one out of foam.

http://www.abetterbouncecard.com/

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Hey guys, I'm reviving this recent thread because I too am looking to get one of Gary Fong's Cloud Lightsphere diffusers.

My problem is that on the GF web page, the Canon 430EX is listed as being a size P3/C in the large chart but then at the bottom it says that the P4/C4 size will fit the 430EX. Conflicting sizes!!

Has anyone used a Canon 430EX flash with a Gary Fong Lightsphere diffuser? What size do you use?

scamateur

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2007
ever so slightly off-topic...

Most wedding-reception photographers use a FLASH BRACKET, whether the diffuser is in use or not. A bracket will increase your "keeper" rate in the photos where flash is required.

Butthead

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2006
Most wedding-reception photographers use a FLASH BRACKET, whether the diffuser is in use or not. A bracket will increase your "keeper" rate in the photos where flash is required.

Other than moving the on camera light source a greater distance from the lens, how would this 'increase' keeper rates? Diffusion w or w/o bracket should get much better image quality, hench 'keepers'.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.