Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amelsen

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 5, 2009
Hi folks,

Alright.. so up until now.. I've been a pure PC owner... and some days ago, I ordered my very first Mac.... a brand new iMac 2.93 with the 4850 card in... can't WAIT!!!!

Anyways.. I'm a very passionated hobby photographer, and the style I'm really in love with is macro photography...

Here's my first butterfly series in 2009... all the same species, so some of the pictures probably seems quite repetitive =)

Click on the pictures for options for better resolution....

.. And finally.. a rapid shot series that shows a 'tongue' movement =)

For the geeky folks among us, I can tell you that I used the following gear for the pictures:

Canon EOS 40D
Canon Speedlite 580ex II
Sigma 150mm F/2.8 EX APO MACRO DG
Stofen Omnibounce diffuser
DIY macro flash bracket =)

/Allan

EDIT: Oh btw.. I know there's dustspots in the pictures.. damnit.. didnt get my sensor cleaned before shooting these.. first macro pictures of the year.. And I'm too lazy to clone them out of the photos......

platypus63

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2006
Zanzibar Land
Wow those are great. Up close and personal! I've never seen a butterfly in that much detail. Do you have a flickr page or something with more macro shots?

joe.cavers

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2008
Seriously dude, agreeing with the guys above, those are some AMAZING shots! Congrats on your new mac!

JC

bertpalmer

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2007
Some lovely work - although your sensor could do with a clean! ;)

Does the 150mm get you THAT close or did you use an extension tube or anything?

amelsen

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 5, 2009
Bertpalmer - thats precisely what I wrote in the bottom of my first post in the thread =) It _has_ been cleaned now though...

And no extension tubes.. those pictures are all just around 1:1 macro...

As for not scaring them away.. it takes patience... butterflies and dragonflies are both a bit of a pain in the ass to shoot, because they are so sensitive to your movement.. but with patience and enough practice, you eventually get a hang of how fast you can move towards a critter =)

Thanks everyone =)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.