Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shacklebolt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 2, 2004
... I'm thinking about teleconverters. OBVIOUSLY not to put on there forever, but should I be doing some sports photography.

My question is, would you also get a 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6g, or would you find it redundant in your bag with the 70-200mm f/2.8 and a 2x teleconverter?

Never knowing anything about anything,

Shacklebolt

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
The Nikon TC14E-II teleconverter will make your lens a 100-280 f/4 and still be tack sharp. This is the combination I use. You can also use the TC17E-II which makes it a 120-340 f/4.6 -- still a pretty good combination.

I would not use a 2x converter, unless you use it on a tripod, stop it down, and avoid the long end -- it definitely won't work well for sports (too slow).

This is a great lens. Very sharp and very fast AF. I use it for motorsports.

The 70-300 VR is a nice consumer lens, but not in the same league as the pro quality 70-200/2.8 VR. Consider the Nikkor AF-S 300/4 prime if you need more length. It is an awesome lens and works with the Nikon TCs.

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
I would have to agree with RaceTripper. The 2X teleconverter makes your images soft at best, and you are likely not going to get all there is to get out of that lens with one of those. The most I would use with my 70-200 f/2.8 L (sorry, I shoot Canon) is a 1.4TC. If that's not enough, I would look into getting a gently used 300mm f/4 prime, like this one, and then a 1.4TC, giving you a whopping ~675mm 35mm-equivalent with an f/5.6 aperture. I can't think of why you might need anything more.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
... I'm thinking about teleconverters. OBVIOUSLY not to put on there forever, but should I be doing some sports photography.

My question is, would you also get a 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6g, or would you find it redundant in your bag with the 70-200mm f/2.8 and a 2x teleconverter?

Never knowing anything about anything,

Shacklebolt

I'll second the opinions you've gotten to date. With my 400mm AF-S II, which is a bit sharper than the 70-200, I get excellent results with a TC-14E-II and just acceptable results with a TC-17E-II. Given that, I wouldn't go with a TC-20E-II, and I'd be wary of the 1.7x on the 70-200. I wouldn't hesitate to put the 1.4x TC on it though.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I'll second the opinions you've gotten to date. With my 400mm AF-S II, which is a bit sharper than the 70-200, I get excellent results with a TC-14E-II and just acceptable results with a TC-17E-II. Given that, I wouldn't go with a TC-20E-II, and I'd be wary of the 1.7x on the 70-200. I wouldn't hesitate to put the 1.4x TC on it though.

One other way to say it: Your images will be just as good if you use a x TC or if you crop them. Either way you get the same angle of view and image quality. Only cropping is free. The problem is with 2X TCs is compounded because they not only magnify all the imperfections in the lens but rob some much light they force you to use a slower shutter (or higher ISO) and the longer focal length means you get more blur from camera shake and subject motion. And then of course always on those long shots if the air is not perfectly clear to shot will look dull. The 1.4x TC just hapens to work well with the 80-200. If you need to go longer you may as well just crop the image

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
Another point to consider about TCs is that they reduce the maximum aperture of the lens. This has an effect -- even if you stop down anyway -- because when the camera auto-focuses it is at max aperture until the shutter fires (when the aperture stops down to what you have set). A 2x aperture on a f/2.8 lens sets the max aperture to f/5.6. That's about the limit for effective and fast autofocus on most but the best pro cameras, especially in low light and/or motion tracking situations.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I agree -- the 1.4x TC is fine on the 70-200mm VR and the 1.7x TC is to be used sparingly, only under the best lighting conditions and preferably with the camera/lens mounted on a tripod. The 2x TC really is useful only on a very few fast lenses.

The 70-300mm VR is a nice little lightweight lens but in no way compares to the excellent 70-200mm VR or to the also excellent 300mm f/4 or ($$$$$) 300mm f/2.8. If you want extra length, go for the 300mm f/4 and in good light stick that 1.4x TC on it....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.