Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
Eh? First thought is B&H, just wondering if it can be had for less ($2200) elsewhere.

valdore

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Kansas City, Missouri. USA
Listed as $2199.88 body only on Amazon, which probably doesn't help you much. I'll say though that my 5D body and lenses come from both B&H and Amazon - both very reputable, and sometimes one is less expensive than the other for certain items.

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
Adorama seems to be the other vendor of choice.

I think you will generally find that the reputable ones will have the 5D or any other camera at about the same price give or take a few $$.

Speaking of, they have it for $2200. They also list a used one for $2000 rated in excellent condition.

Another poster on here (crackedbutter) might be looking to sell their 5D

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
Adorama seems to be the other vendor of choice.

I think you will generally find that the reputable ones will have the 5D or any other camera at about the same price give or take a few $$.

Speaking of, they have it for $2200. They also list a used one for $2000 rated in excellent condition.

Another poster on here (crackedbutter) might be looking to sell their 5D

Adorama ships on time, but their support sucks ass. They're only popular because they are cheaptuble (cheap and fairly reputable).

Wait until the 5d mark II or whatever its called to come out and prices will shoot down.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
Can't wait that long, wish I could. I just finished my last film class and am moving on to digital this quarter (next week). All I've got right now is a 350D... Doesn't exactly cut the mustard.

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
Can't wait that long, wish I could. I just finished my last film class and am moving on to digital this quarter (next week). All I've got right now is a 350D... Doesn't exactly cut the mustard.

Why not? The XT is in almost all cases an excellent camera. Buy a nice lens that you will be able to use on a future 5D and run the XT for another month or so.

I know people who have done excellent work with the 350d; I don't see anything about it that would limit a photography student (especially moving from film)

seenew

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
Don't get me wrong, the 350D is fine. I've been using it for a couple of years now, and I've got all great glass for it. I just really need a full frame camera. I'd be keeping the 350D as a spare, too.

If I knew I could afford what appears to be the next 5D (at $3500), I'd bite the bullet and wait. But since I know I can't justify laying down that much cash, I might as well go ahead and get a current 5D.

Feel free to convince me otherwise, I would love to be convinced. ;) I just miss my wide angle shots, and I'm not going to waste money on EF-S lenses. (I sold my EF-S 10-22 last year for a EF 17-40 f4L when I started shooting film).

TWLreal

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2006
From my other thread:
As some of you might know, Canon offers instant rebates 2 times a year and for those who have missed the one in winter, here are the spring 2008 rebates.

I'll quote from the original poster from RFD. (http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/showthread.php?t=565210).
For all the Canon shooters out there...

It looks like Canon Canada's Spring 2008 rebates are from March 15th to June 30th this year. Generally, Canon Canada's rebates are immediately followed a week or two later by the US rebates.

They are mail-in-rebates and "double" rebates if you buy more than one item.

http://www.photoprice.ca/rebates/

The Canon website does not have them yet, likely because they aren't available until tomorrow.

Enjoy!
For those in the states, the US rebates should be announced soon. B&H should apply price cuts instantly so there are no mail-in rebate issues.
The US rebates should be here soon which will drop about $200 off the current prices on the 5D.

Should.

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
Futureshop in canada (a big box electronics store) is an authorized canon retailer and for some reason, each store brought in a 5d. They have really good prices on them (often less than 2K) because typical box store camera customers won't go higher than an xti. I don't know if there is an equivalent in the US.

Current 5d's may go for fire sale prices when the update comes out.

Good luck.

john roolz a lo

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2006
buydig.com

cheapest most reliable site for camera gear

i got my 5D / lenses from there since all my local shops overcharge

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
hmm... depends on the price, and how 'gently' it was used. ;)

any warranty?

It's actually in perfect shape, and about 14 months old. There is a 3 year warranty through Mack which is transferable for a small fee. My rig is pretty pricey so I am always overly-careful about handling and weather conditions. No shots in the rain or snow (although I have shot images of snow once it has fallen.) This camera will always take phenomenal photos with great color accuracy and no noise.

I'll be ready to sell around April 4th. Let me know.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
Why not? The XT is in almost all cases an excellent camera. Buy a nice lens that you will be able to use on a future 5D and run the XT for another month or so.

I know people who have done excellent work with the 350d; I don't see anything about it that would limit a photography student (especially moving from film)

I have seen great images from the Digital Rebel as well - but my concern was the cameras ability to handle somewhat rough handling.

My first DSLR was a Digital Rebel - I owned it for one day, called the dealer and returned it the next day for a 10D. At the time it only came in the silver finish and after looking at it closely I realized it was not a durable as the 10D. I could imagine in my hands that silver finish wearing down and the camera looking rough in short order.

The other concern for me was the smaller size - it didn't seem to fit my hand as well as I liked - of course at the time I was shooting with an EOS 3 film camera so I was used to the larger body.

Where to buy? I prefer to deal with local dealers - I may pay a little more than 'online' but they are competitive in pricing and the support you can get from them cannot be had from an online dealer. I bought a lens and once I got it home realized I did not want it, had the new lens the next day.

yeroen

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2007
Cambridge, MA
KEH.com has one new for $2200 and very slightly used one for $2029 in LN- condition.

It's still considerably cheaper than when the 5D first came out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.