Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dork420

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2007
Hello All

I'm running Tiger and plan to stick with it unless I am losing something by not having it when it comes to photo editing/management.I have a iMac core duo 2gigs of ram

Now my options are as follows.

Aperture
or
Elements

I currently use iPhoto for the P&S but recently decided to retire my film SLR and get a new DSLR and I want to start off right with the software.

I know that Aperture is mild editing and workflow while Elements is more catered to hard core editing.

My requirement aren't extreme as I plan to take the best shots possible the old fashioned way, ie in the camera, and can't envision doing major editing.
However is it overkill to have iphoto and aperture at the same time? Meaning use it for my P&S and transfer my raw shots to me organized in iphoto as well.
or is it better just to link Elements and iPhoto together one for editing and one for organization.
I am so confused. I just want effective and simple.

Thanks for any ideas or thoughts

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hello All

I'm running Tiger and plan to stick with it unless I am losing something by not having it when it comes to photo editing/management.I have a iMac core duo 2gigs of ram

Now my options are as follows.

Aperture
or
Elements

I currently use iPhoto for the P&S but recently decided to retire my film SLR and get a new DSLR and I want to start off right with the software.

I know that Aperture is mild editing and workflow while Elements is more catered to hard core editing.

My requirement aren't extreme as I plan to take the best shots possible the old fashioned way, ie in the camera, and can't envision doing major editing.
However is it overkill to have iphoto and aperture at the same time? Meaning use it for my P&S and transfer my raw shots to me organized in iphoto as well.
or is it better just to link Elements and iPhoto together one for editing and one for organization.
I am so confused. I just want effective and simple.

Thanks for any ideas or thoughts

iPhoto and Aperure do about the same thing. Only Aperture has more controls for both image adjustments and metadata. Both handle RAW images. Raw image processing is a feature of Mac OS X that both programs use. My opinin is to use iPhoto until you decide you need the exctra controls in Aperure. It is easy to transfer the iPhoto library to Aperture when the time comes. I see no reason to use both. Stick with one.

Elements is good for more extensive edits. Just wait, you will want to do thinks like removing a utility line from a background or taking out that beer can from a landscape. The choice is not between Aperture and Elements. They do different jobs. There is some overlap but mostly they do different jobs.

The simplest, low risk plan for you would be to stick with iPhoto for both the SLR and P&S and then if you need to move to Aperture. (Aprture has an "import iPhoto Library" function.) Independent of this buy Elements if you think you might want to make an edit, as opposed to an "adjustment"

One good reason to upgrade from Tiger to Leopard is that the new RAW processing engine is Leopard-only. The new one really is better and make better looking images. With Tiger you are stuck with the verson 1.5 raw processor. Also be sure and check that the 1.5 verion even handles your camera. If your camera is new maybe not?

dork420

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2007
One good reason to upgrade from Tiger to Leopard is that the new RAW processing engine is Leopard-only. The new one really is better and make better looking images. With Tiger you are stuck with the verson 1.5 raw processor. Also be sure and check that the 1.5 verion even handles your camera. If your camera is new maybe not?

Chris
Exactly the kind of info I was looking for. So to confirm Leopard does a better job of processing RAW?

Ok- then if I import RAW into iPhoto won;t I need to copy it to a jpeg so it's a smaller file to be used on the web? Also I like the idea of separating the "family" P&S with my soon to be Canon XSi or XS.

I was thinking Aperture would be dad's program and I could export Raw->Jpeg into iphoto to share and upload. Does that make sense?

Suspended
Dec 29, 2007
Personally, I'd recommend creating a second iPhoto library and play with that at first. iPhoto can process RAW, and before investing $200 into Ap, see if iPhoto does what you want.

However, if you want to spend the money and learn a new toy, then by all means go for it. But, if you are budget conscious, I would recommend first seeing if iPhoto can't meet your needs.

One other thought -- you can download Ap for 30 days. Try Ap on your CoreDuo, compared next to iPhoto, and see which you prefer. I ran Ap on my CD with Tiger, and it ran fine. If you haven't shot in RAW, you might find it's more trouble than it is worth to you. I also purchased an XTi and tried RAW but at the end of the day went back to iPhoto and jpg, because it was sufficient.

Just my two pennies worth. I understand the desire for new toys. If you are looking for simple justification then ignore the above and pretend I said "Yes, you need Aperture to do justice to your DSLR. You will also absolutely need a new 17" MBP with a 500GB HDD, otherwise your photos will be rubbish" :D

dork420

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2007
Personally, I'd recommend creating a second iPhoto library and play with that at first. iPhoto can process RAW, and before investing $200 into Ap, see if iPhoto does what you want.

Just my two pennies worth. I understand the desire for new toys. If you are looking for simple justification then ignore the above and pretend I said "Yes, you need Aperture to do justice to your DSLR. You will also absolutely need a new 17" MBP with a 500GB HDD, otherwise your photos will be rubbish" :D

How did you guess? Just kidding. I'm just stoke to play with my new camera and "edit". How d I create a second iPhoto library?
I'm still interested in RAW though. I'm picky with my film era stuff and very not satisfied with the P&S
I'm hoping Tiger will be sufficient because that's one more thing to add.

But I hear you. I will definitely try out AP 30 trial before I buy.

Thanks

BTW- I work at a University so I get great deals on software. Like less than 100 for AP.

Suspended
Dec 29, 2007
How did you guess? Just kidding. I'm just stoke to play with my new camera and "edit". How d I create a second iPhoto library?
I'm still interested in RAW though. I'm picky with my film era stuff and very not satisfied with the P&S
I'm hoping Tiger will be sufficient because that's one more thing to add.

But I hear you. I will definitely try out AP 30 trial before I buy.

Thanks

BTW- I work at a University so I get great deals on software. Like less than 100 for AP.

Ap is already well priced. At uni prices, it's even more attractive. I don't want to dissuade you from purchasing. It's a nice application. Still, no reason not to trial it first.

Next time you launch iPhoto, hold down the option key, and you'll get a dialogue box that allows you to open a different iPhoto library, or even create a new one. You can't switch photo libraries once iPhoto has started, but you can launch iPhoto with different photo libraries. If you do end up creating multiple iPhoto libraries, there is an application called iPhoto Library Manager that lets you easily move photos, folders, events and meta data between different iPhoto libraries. I mainly use this to keep my libraries in synch on my MB and iMac, but you could also use it to share photos between two different use libraries.

On iPhoto/Aperture vs. PS Elements. Elements allows you to use layers, which are very powerful. It kind of depends on what you are trying to achieve. If you just want to adjust things like saturation, contrast, sharpness, etc. you might be fine with Ap (or even iPhoto). If, however, you want to alter the photo (add an element into the photo, darken and blur the background, but not the main subject, add text, etc.) then Elements is the next step. Most people who are not pros don't need CS3. Everything they could ever use (and more) is found in Elements. If money is not a real issue here, Elements is cheap, and is a great compliment to whatever photo organizer/developer you choose (whether iPhoto, Ap, or Lightroom, etc.).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.